How much does marine salt raise pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is actually for a brackish tank, but I figured the people here would know best.

My tank is 55 gallons and I'm going to get the salinity to 1.005 with marine salt (for figure 8 puffers - incase you were curious). My tap pH is 6.8 and I (stupidly) purchased some base rock to raise the pH before I even put the salt in, and brought the pH to 7.8.

I want the pH to be at 8. How much will marine salt raise it? Just want to know how much rock to take out, if any.

Its impossible to tell tbh. Just mix it up and see. Even if it doesnt raise it at all, 7.8 is perfectly fine anyways.

Sorry for the delay, didn't see this!

I know, I'm totally fine with 7.8 - I just wanted to know if I'll be able to take the base rock out. As in would the marine salt raise it to that level by itself?

Yes depending on how much salt it will raise the pH.
I use ro in my marine tanks(6.5pH) ,but after salting It is 8.+.

Ph is a bit too complex of a subject for us to tell you that x amount of water + y amount of salt and base rock will = z pH.

You just have to try it and see honestly. This is gonna be trial and error for you.

I keep an f8 puffer. I use salt mix and RO. The pH sets at 8.2.
I used to use tap water/salt blend but that was a while ago!
Get some digital scales, you want about 6 grams per litre to get 1.005-1.006.
I'm fairly sure the salt blend is buffered to that figure.
See mebbid! There are many other influencing factors concerning pH. (This is to the best of my knowledge)

If the rock looks nice, leave it in there!
(Just my opinion, no factual basis)

Cheers! Actually looking to take the rocks out if possible, they take up a bit too much space for my liking. I'll watch the pH closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom