How much food, and getting it to the less agressive ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterjvh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I've read quite a bit about how much food is the right amount and how much is too much but there's a lot of conflicting info. Quite often it is said no more than what the fish can eat in two minutes. I never fed that much but even so find my plants (real) are not as green as I would like because of brown diatoms (I think that's what it is) and some hair like algae that was growing on the lower parts of plants.
My local fish store suggested I cut back on the feeding (previously twice a day however all eaten) to even as little as every other day. About a week ago I cut back to one per day and am seeing some improvements. I also put in six Amano shrimp, a small algae eater and a couple Julii Cory's.
The tank is 29 gallons, cycled, nitrate at approx. 20+, ph 7.4 and water temp at 27-28 degrees C. CO2 (2+ BPM) and two 55w fluorescents are on a timer for 6 hours per day (6 pm to midnight). I am mostly feeding Tetrabits and frozen bloodworms every few days. I'm doing a 20% PWC twice weekly.
Another question is how do I make sure the less aggressive fish (especially the low swimmers) get there share of food?
I have 4 Boeseman Rainbows, 2 Dwarf Rainbows, 7 Pristella Tetras, 6 Glowlight Danios, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 2 Julii Cory's, 1 small algae eater (not sure what type) and 6 Amano shimp. The Boeseman's are voracious eaters and hog the food as I sprinkle it in, not much gets to the Cardinals (usually near bottom), the Dwarf Rainbows tend to miss out because they sit back and watch until it's too late.
Comments please.
Peter

Try different kinds of food. If your Rainbows love the granules and bloodworms, they would probably pass on flake food which would then get to your tetras. Also, bottom feeder pellets for your cories. On another note, your tank seems really overstocked and those Boeseman's are going to get too big for a 29 gallon.

Make sure your rainbows get veggies in their diet. I have been feeding mine Omega One veggie something along with NLS Thera+A. I normally don't suppliment and feed NLS exclusively, but everything I've read say rainbows benefit from a veggie supliment. I would agree that the bosemani's are going to get too large/active for a 29g. I had some rainbows in my 40 breeder and moved them last night to my 125 as I felt they were a bit 'cramped'. Is that dwarf puffer causing any issues with your other fish? Typically, those are deemed 'nippy', though the only fish you have that I'd be concerned about would be the rainbows.

As far as feeding, I feed every other day. I've just seen way too many problems from daily or multiple daily feedings. I only fed once every 3rd day when I had my africans.

I'm doing a 20% PWC twice weekly.
Hey guys it's been a while since I had a freshwater tank and since be'n on this site I'm think'n of start'n a new one. But my question is is it wise to do 20% water changes 2 times a week for a freshwater tank?

Hey guys it's been a while since I had a freshwater tank and since be'n on this site I'm think'n of start'n a new one. But my question is is it wise to do 20% water changes 2 times a week for a freshwater tank?
It may be sufficient, may not... I do 50% weekly, but taking in to consideration that 2x 20% does not equal 40%, it's hard to say without seeing test results.

It may be sufficient, may not... I do 50% weekly, but taking in to consideration that 2x 20% does not equal 40%, it's hard to say without seeing test results.

But if you water parameters are good...stays 0/0/20...then doing whatever water change you decide on would be adequate...right?

Aspencer said:
But if you water parameters are good...stays 0/0/20...then doing whatever water change you decide on would be adequate...right?

Right or wrong, I look at as continuos water maintenance keeping the various parameters constant. Waiting for a week to do a larger percentage PWC at this time results in higher nitrate levels before PWC and larger fluctuations in parameters at the time of PWC. I read that doing a PWC stresses fish but I don't think gently doing it stresses the fish too much as most of them seem to even play in the fresh water and bubbles as I slowly refill.

mfdrookie516 said:
Is that dwarf puffer causing any issues with your other fish? Typically, those are deemed 'nippy', though the only fish you have that I'd be concerned about would be the rainbows.

As far as feeding, I feed every other day. I've just seen way too many problems from daily or multiple daily feedings. I only fed once every 3rd day when I had my africans.

Actually it's two Dwarf Rainbows. I was told they are No. 0, meaning a very short body (shortest). They are very docile but have very "cute" personalities, always hanging out together, swimming side by side.

I think I will start feeding every other day and see how it goes. The problem is it seems much harder (for me) to know if I am underfeeding than if I'm over feeding. Over feeding shows in the water very easily.

Back
Top Bottom