How much is too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got nearly all of my aquarium equipment from a deal off of craigslist, so I don't have all of the necessary packaging, etc. to identify everything I have, but I'll do my best.

I've had a 28 gallon tank with plants and fish running for a little over a month now. Plants include: water wisteria, amazon chain sword, cryptocoryne lutea, cryptocoryne spiralis, hornwort and rotala indica.

Originally, I could only get one of the lights to work, and it has 2 T5 bulbs (6,700K) and it's on for about 8 hours a day. I haven't really had any algae problems aside from a little due to new tank start up. There was some brown algae growing on the tips of my wisteria leaves, but after adding some platys yesterday, they ate all the algae off! I didn't even know platys ate algae :eek:

Anywho, I couldn't get the other light to work for some reason, so I just set it aside, but after cleaning today, I plugged it in on a whim and lo and behold, it works!! This light says "all glass aquarium lamp 17W" and only has one bulb. I don't have the original packaging so I don't know anymore than that, sorry :\

The lady I got all the things from was really into growing aquatic plants, so I know the light fixtures are good, I just don't want to add too much light and cause an algae problem or freak out my fish.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and add the other light to my tank?

At a guess, I'd say that lighting sounds fine (but happy to be corrected) and if you don't have algae, plants are growing and no element deficiencies it all sounds pretty good.

One of my crypts is a little sad looking, but I recently picked up seachem flourish, excel and iron so hopefully that helps with the crinkled, yellowing leaves. I also got a better co2 diffuser so maybe that'll help too! How can I tell if my plants aren't getting enough light?

Are you using root tabs with the crypts? They benefit from root tabs more than ferts in the water column.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, I've been using API root tabs, but I only have one left in the package. I've gotten a hold of some osmocote plus but no gel capsules yet. I'm a little hesitant to use them just yet because there's a tiny bit of copper in it, I think?

I have two types of crypts: lutea and spiralis, the spiralis is thriving and has 2 little upshoots that are growing fast. The lutea has crinkled leaves, some yellowing and with pinholes. I'm new to the aquatic plant scene so I'm not sure if it's due to bot enough light, co2 or ferts.

I've never used the API tabs. I do use the Flourish tabs and they're great. I don't want to mess with making my own. I don't like things too technical. :)

Maybe I'll look into seachem tabs, I just think root tabs are pretty expensive for how long they last (a month I think?)

The copper in osmocote is actually important for the plants and perfectly safe for your aquarium, even if you have shrimp.

The api / flourish tabs are junk tbh... go with the osmocote

Okay! Sounds good, I was a little concerned about the copper, but I've read lots of threads from multiple websites saying how it was trivial enough not to harm inverts and the plants absorb it anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

I think I last put in some root tabs maybe during the last week of August or the first week in September. How long should I wait before adding any osmocote?

About the light. I have a sword growing up out of my 55g and it's getting a little crispy from being too close to my lights. I had to turn one of my bulbs off.

The copper in osmocote is actually important for the plants and perfectly safe for your aquarium, even if you have shrimp.

The api / flourish tabs are junk tbh... go with the osmocote
I use frozen osmocote tabs. I forgot how much but just put some in an ice cube tray, put just enough water to cover the little balls. Freeze and quickly shove in the substrate, I currently have an Amazon sword that's growing like crazy in normal aquarium gravel.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom