How much is too much? Stocking 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry, it is another stocking related question about my 55 gallon aquarium

I love the bottom feeders in my tank more than all the others, and am wondering, how much is too much? I already have Julii Corydoras and Zebra loaches. Would it be pushing it too far to add a small group of Kuhli Loaches as well?

I would like to have

8 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
8 x Cherry Barbs
10 x Harlequin Rasboras
5 x Zebra Loaches
6 Julii Corydoras
6 x Kuhli Loaches
2 x Honey Gourami

I currently have just 3 Zebra Loaches, so could I leave it at that for them and add Kuhli loaches or would I need to add more Zebras? I LOVE the Kuhli Loaches, but I love the cories and zebras as well!!!

The bottom dimensions are 100x40cm. There are plenty of hiding spots and sand is the substrate. I don't want to add the Kuhli Loaches if it is going to crowd the bottom of the tank too much, so they are not happy.

I guess this may be pushing it too far as far as bottom feeders go?

5 x Zebra Loaches (could I lower this to 3)
6 x Kuhli Loaches (should 6 be enough to be able to see them plenty?)
6 x Julii Corydoras

I figured that because the kuhli loaches are so thin, they have very little bioload impact so it just comes down to space? The bottom of my tank is very empty, because the Zebras are often not on the bottom anyway.

Thanks!

If your filtration is good, I think it's OK. As you pointed out, the loaches aren't as much of a bottom dweller as the other two and julii's and kuhli's are pretty small as far as bottom dwellers for 55's go. Yes, 6 kuhli's should be fine. I keep 6 if the striped and they are out and about all the time. Loaches do best in groups of 5 or more, so I would go ahead and get 2 more.

Thanks! Sorry, I forgot to mention the filter! It's a Fluval U4 Internal Filter

The Gourami, are a pair - 1 male and 1 female. The occasionally chase, but they don't fight :)

Thanks

Stocking Your 55 G

Hello Cherry...

You have a large tank and if you're willing to commit to large, weekly water changes, then you can add more Corydoras, if you like. I like to stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume. You can easily keep a dozen in your 55.

All you need is a filter with a gph (gallons per hour) rating about 6 times the volume of your tank. You don't need to over filter your tank, that gets expensive. Just commit to an aggressive water change routine.

I have several 55 G tanks heavily stocked and planted and remove and replace 60 to 70 percent of the tank water every week.

B

i think you look pretty full. I plugged all your stuff into aqadvisor and it says you need more filtration. might want to look into that. I have 2 aqauclear 110s running on my 90gallon. not sure what the extra expense is that BBradbury is talking about other than the initial outlay of cash. you can probably get away with what you have, but you would probably be happier if you had more filtration too.
good luck! sounds like a fun tank. make sure you post some pics!!

Stocking Your 55 G

i think you look pretty full. I plugged all your stuff into aqadvisor and it says you need more filtration. might want to look into that. I have 2 aqauclear 110s running on my 90gallon. not sure what the extra expense is that BBradbury is talking about other than the initial outlay of cash. you can probably get away with what you have, but you would probably be happier if you had more filtration too.
good luck! sounds like a fun tank. make sure you post some pics!!

Hello Heather...

Apologies. Should have done a better job of clarifying my statement. The cost I was referring to was the cost of overfiltering a tank.

A 90 G should only need two AC 70s with a total gph (gallon per hour) rating of 600. That's provided you remove and replace at least half the water in the tank every week. By overfiltering your tank, you spend roughly $150.00 on filtration compared to $90.00.

Filtration equipment is absolutely needed, but it only takes in very toxic water and replaces it with the same water that's just a little less toxic and can't keep the water chemistry as stable as large, weekly water changes.

If you follow an aggressive water change routine, there's no need to overfilter your tank. The reason is because the filters are simply filtering water that's already pure.

Just a thought.

B

Ok, thanks! I don't want to push it too much. If it is going to be too crowded/the filter won't cope or whatever, then I won't risk it. Do you think it would work?

Thanks

IMO aqadvisor is pretty much trash. I enjoyed playing around with it for a while but, after seeing countless examples of it being totally inaccurate, I never touch the thing anymore.

I think you have a reasonable stocking list for a 55 gal. I wouldn't anticipate any problems. If I were you, I would go ahead and add an Aqua Clear 70. Kuhli's like well oxygenated water and some decent flow. You can pick one up for around $35 on Amazon.

Thanks

Would a HOB filter work on any tank? Are there any cheaper alternatives, because my tank fund is not very high any more and because I am just at school, I cannot find the money for that one :(

Thanks

Would a HOB filter work on any tank? Are there any cheaper alternatives, because my tank fund is not very high any more and because I am just at school, I cannot find the money for that one :(

do you work during the summers? would you have more funds then?

what you could do is just go with what you have and then come summer when you have more funds splurge on an additional filter. I think you will be ok, just might need to do more water changes with the lower filtration. but I would plan on adding that additional filter before too long. and yes, I am pretty sure any HOB will work on any tank. you just need to have a cut out space / place on the back where it sits over the edge. make sense?

You'll be fine with the filter you have for now. Yes, HOB's work on any tank that has room behind it for the filter. Just add that AquaClear when you can. It's a great deal for that filter, can't be beat. ;)

Ok thanks! I don't work but I will definatly have money then though. Sadly my LFS stock is quite expensive so that doesn't help!! I will definatly try to get one as soon as I can :)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom