How much sand to have on the bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting to get my new 55 gallon tank ready. I plan to do a sand bottom and planted tank. How much sand should I use for the tank. I already have 40 lbs of sand in it now. Working on getting it cleaned now.

2-3 inches should be enough. Depending on the plants you want, you might have to supplement the sand with some root tabs to add nutrients.

I wouldn't go too deep with it, because of anerobic gas pockets. I think I had my 75 at about an inch or so, maybe two in the back part for plants. Also, check into getting Malaysian trumpet snails, they don't eat plants and live in the substrate, they'll help keep things stirred up.

From what I heard those gas pockets don't really happen unless you substrate is 4"+ deep, but someone else might have a definitive answer.

Regardless of the depth, MTS does help to stir the substrate, so pockets don't form, as well as keep it aerated and loose for the plant roots.

Pockets are so easy to fix so many people have blown the gas thing out of proportion. Each week during a water change gently run your hands through the sand and your safe from any chemical buildup. I would do 60lbs of sand in a 55 gallon.

I might have to look into getting some snails for the tank. I plan to have a. If school of cories in the tank so that should help stir the sand some too

Back
Top Bottom