How much $$$ to start either a 50 gallon or 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been thinking ahead to my bday and Christmas which are only about 2 months away. I've been considering just asking for money and buying a 50 or 75 gallon setup. I'd like the 75 better and I have room for it. So my question is, roughly how much money do y'all think a 75 or 50 gallon setup would be? I can get a 75 gal for $215 at petsmart and a 50 gal for $150 (both with full hoods and lights) if I can get it on sale I'll definitely do that. I'd maybe like a canister filter but I don't think I'll be able to afford it, so I might just get another AquaClear HOB. I might use PFS or black blasting sand cause they are cheap, if I get extra $$$ I might get natural looking gravel instead. I will probably want to do live plants also.

This is just an idea right now but I can't think of anything else right now that I'd want more.

Thanks!

Look on craigslist. You might be able to find a really good deal on there.

If you look on Craigslist, then you could probably find a 50-75 gallon tank on the cheap. Also, unless youre only interested in low-light plants, then the light that comes with the Petsmart combo wont be enough and you'll end up upgrading it anyways (I type from experience). The lighting for mid to high level lighting plants can get pricey. Also, some plants will require a better substrate than just sand, plus you'll have to add fertilizer and liquid carbon daily. So I would decide for sure if you want live plants, and if so, what kind. Keeping plants not only adds to the initial cost, but to the upkeep cost as well.

The stands for those can get kind of expensive. Ive been pricing wooden cabinet style stands made for 75-90 gallons and they seem to run about $200-$350. $75-$110 for a metal frame style at Drs F&S.

I think you'll be happier in the long run if you get a canister filter, but that comes down to individual preference. You can get the SunSun brand pretty cheap on Ebay (about $60). There is a similar looking canister made by a company called AquaTop that are also inexpensive (around $80). The manager at my "good" LFS tells me that the main difference between the two is that SunSun is made with cheaper parts in China and Aquatop is made with better parts in America (what!? They still make things in the USA?). He really seemed to like the AquaTops. To the point that he was recommending them over the more pricey Fluvals, which he claims have decreased in quality over the past few years.

My advice would be to take your time. Be sure of what you want and shop around for the best deal. Even if it means getting 1 or 2 pieces at a time. My first aquarium was one of those PetSmart 45g tank/hood/stand combos. After buying that and all the other stuff I thought I needed, I ended up spending around a grand (not including upgrading the lighting later on). Now that Im a little bit wiser, I realize I couldve spent about 30-40% less. Live and learn.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :popcorn:

Ok to do this as cheap as possible if you want plant lights you want to go for t5 ho and a canister look on craigslist. That is awesome for for deals I found brand spanking new 36in t5s with all 4 bulbs for 100bucks and a really nice fluval canister for $20. You can build your own stand for around 30 bucks and it will be better than anything you can find in any store. If you are careful and you take your time you can get a massive tank with all of the bells and whistles for like $500-$600. Here is a full set up on a 75g in my area. 75 gallon fish tank with everything I guarantee that I could pick the whole lot for 350$ just look for the ones that have been on there for a long time. people giving these up need money. Take advantage and don't be afraid to haggle.
here is a 55g 55 gallon aquarium full setup
55 gallon fully set up
here is a 100g set up 100 Gallon Aquarium
here are some lights
(2) AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures-36" 78W Freshwater
a 75g 75 gallon fish tank
that took me about 5 minutes to find. Just keep looking you will find exactly what you are looking for for a price that you can afford.

If you look on Craigslist, then you could probably find a 50-75 gallon tank on the cheap. Also, unless youre only interested in low-light plants, then the light that comes with the Petsmart combo wont be enough and you'll end up upgrading it anyways (I type from experience). The lighting for mid to high level lighting plants can get pricey. Also, some plants will require a better substrate than just sand, plus you'll have to add fertilizer and liquid carbon daily. So I would decide for sure if you want live plants, and if so, what kind. Keeping plants not only adds to the initial cost, but to the upkeep cost as well.

The stands for those can get kind of expensive. Ive been pricing wooden cabinet style stands made for 75-90 gallons and they seem to run about $200-$350. $75-$110 for a metal frame style at Drs F&S.

I think you'll be happier in the long run if you get a canister filter, but that comes down to individual preference. You can get the SunSun brand pretty cheap on Ebay (about $60). There is a similar looking canister made by a company called AquaTop that are also inexpensive (around $80). The manager at my "good" LFS tells me that the main difference between the two is that SunSun is made with cheaper parts in China and Aquatop is made with better parts in America (what!? They still make things in the USA?). He really seemed to like the AquaTops. To the point that he was recommending them over the more pricey Fluvals, which he claims have decreased in quality over the past few years.

My advice would be to take your time. Be sure of what you want and shop around for the best deal. Even if it means getting 1 or 2 pieces at a time. My first aquarium was one of those PetSmart 45g tank/hood/stand combos. After buying that and all the other stuff I thought I needed, I ended up spending around a grand (not including upgrading the lighting later on). Now that Im a little bit wiser, I realize I couldve spent about 30-40% less. Live and learn.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :popcorn:

Thanks for all that advice! I currently have a 20 gal tank that was a petsmart hood/light combo and have a AquaClear 50 filter. I'm using the standard light still and have EcoComplete substrate with low-light plants like java fern, amazon sword, and Anubias.

For a stand I have a big desk that I usually just keep misc stuff on. It will fit either a 50 or 75 gal very well.

I'd probably like a canister filter more than a HOB for a tank of 50 or 75 gallons. The thing is the high prices on the canisters.

I'll check on Craig's when the time of Christmas comes around.

Thanks again!

Ok to do this as cheap as possible if you want plant lights you want to go for t5 ho and a canister look on craigslist. That is awesome for for deals I found brand spanking new 36in t5s with all 4 bulbs for 100bucks and a really nice fluval canister for $20. You can build your own stand for around 30 bucks and it will be better than anything you can find in any store. If you are careful and you take your time you can get a massive tank with all of the bells and whistles for like $500-$600. Here is a full set up on a 75g in my area. 75 gallon fish tank with everything I guarantee that I could pick the whole lot for 350$ just look for the ones that have been on there for a long time. people giving these up need money. Take advantage and don't be afraid to haggle.
here is a 55g 55 gallon aquarium full setup
55 gallon fully set up
here is a 100g set up 100 Gallon Aquarium
here are some lights
(2) AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures-36" 78W Freshwater
a 75g 75 gallon fish tank
that took me about 5 minutes to find. Just keep looking you will find exactly what you are looking for for a price that you can afford.

Wow, those are some good deals there. I'll definitely look on Craigslist if I do indeed decide to go through with this.

I already have a big desk for a stand that will fit anything around a 75 gal quite nicely.

Thanks for the advice!

The tank may fit but can it hold the weight? Remember that is an average of 850lbs. Most desks won't take that weight for a long period of time without bowing and if the desk bows so will the tank and then you may end up with 75g of water and dead fish on your floor with a broken desk. Take your time and either build one or buy one that was built with purpose of not only holding the weight but meant to come in constant contact with water. 850lbs worth of water is not something I would choose to use repurposed furniture for.

I just set up a 50 Gal tank. I got the tank on sale, and i bought silica sand at a concrete supply store ( way cheeper then at a pet store, 80lbs for $20 ) And i built my own stand ( more sturdy and half the price ) All in all, not including fish, chemicals, i'm in it for $600

The tank may fit but can it hold the weight? Remember that is an average of 850lbs. Most desks won't take that weight for a long period of time without bowing and if the desk bows so will the tank and then you may end up with 75g of water and dead fish on your floor with a broken desk. Take your time and either build one or buy one that was built with purpose of not only holding the weight but meant to come in constant contact with water. 850lbs worth of water is not something I would choose to use repurposed furniture for.

I'm pretty sure it can hold it, but I'll ask my grandpa who built the desk. He does woodworking and built most of the cabinets and such in my house, he also helped me make the stand for my 5 gallon tank.

image-192906876.jpg

I just set up a 50 Gal tank. I got the tank on sale, and i bought silica sand at a concrete supply store ( way cheeper then at a pet store, 80lbs for $20 )

I use play sand. It's 4 dollars for 50lbs.

That's what attracts me to PFS or black blasting sand, it's cheap. It's just not as nutritious for plants is all.

Back
Top Bottom