How Much Water To Remove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
My cycle is almost done, tested today, ammonia was 0.25PPM and my nitrites and nitrates are going off the chart, so to get it back on the chart, how much should I remove?

Hello New...

When I cycled my tank, I tested daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If I got a positive test for either of these forms of nitrogen, I removed and replaced 25 percent of the tank water and replaced that with pure, treated tap water.

I cycled my tank with fish, so the 25 percent kept the water relatively pure for the fish and left some of the waste products for the growing bacteria.

When you have several daily tests and there's no trace of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The "nitrogen cycle" takes roughly a month.

B

Hello New...

When I cycled my tank, I tested daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If I got a positive test for either of these forms of nitrogen, I removed and replaced 25 percent of the tank water and replaced that with pure, treated tap water.

I cycled my tank with fish, so the 25 percent kept the water relatively pure for the fish and left some of the waste products for the growing bacteria.

When you have several daily tests and there's no trace of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The "nitrogen cycle" takes roughly a month.

B

Mines fishless :) read if nitrite and nitrates are that high for to long, can stall a cycle.

I would start with 25%, wait an hour or so an retest. You may need to do another water change if you're still high.

Well you could still have a while to go. A cycled tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and x nitrate. But you should do a 50+% water change and then see where you are, and possibly do another one.

Did a 50% water change today, ammonia is 0 but nitrites read 5ppm on the chart, does it need lowering even more? And is ok to add more ammonia even nitrites read 5ppm?

If you did a 50% water change and nitrites are still the highest on the chart then they were pretty high to begin with, probably double the 5 ppms. You could do another 50% just to bring it down more. Then you can redose.

If you did a 50% water change and nitrites are still the highest on the chart then they were pretty high to begin with, probably double the 5 ppms. You could do another 50% just to bring it down more. Then you can redose.

Should I do more than 50% second time around? Like 70%

Just did another water change, about 70%-85% and nitrites are 0.50PPM and nitrates 40PPM. Is it safe to re-dose back up to 4ppm of ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom