How not to start out ( following LFS advice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What type of filter are you using?

You should rarely have to change filter materials. When you do, you're losing all the good bacteria that lives in your filter. Keep using your filter material until it falls a part. If it needs cleaning, just take some old tank water and rinse the materials in a bucket then put them back into your filter.

Have to agree with Alisha here... they tell you to change them every week because they make money when you buy new ones! It is not good for your tank at all and can actually cause a mini cycle to occur.

The best way to handle this is to rinse the filter media in the old tank water that you take out during a PWC... just swish it around and get the crap out. Most of the bacteria will still be there (or at least a good bit of it). Just because it isn't white doesnt mean it isn't still working. Don't ever rinse it in tap water, as tap water contains chlorine and will kill the bacteria. Only change it out when it fails i.e. is falling apart.

Regular changing of filter media is another terrible bit of advice that is all too common in most pet stores/LFS. I have gone months and months between changing filter pads in my tanks... and never have any ammonia/nitrites, and my water is always crystal clear.

TY for the filter advice.

The little bully was quiet this morning for half an hour after the light came on. The other were happy for the break! Now he has woke up and is back to chasing them all one after another. They don't school as they have taken to hiding in different corners to get away from him!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

There is always one trouble maker, isn't there? ;) I've noticed with my Black skirts that if anyone gets a little worked up, it's the smallest one that gets aggressive. I'm sure it's just because he knows his size and feels threatened. You could try returning him to your LFS, but with barbs- chances are you get another just as feisty as he is when you add more to your tank after finishing your cycling. Hopefully he'll do better once you get more greens in the tank.

So thats day 3 of 40% PWC! just got to wait the obligatory 2 hours before testing another late night here we come!!

Here's today's figures:

Tests day 6

PM before PWC
NH3 0.4
NO2 0
NO3 10

9pm PWC 40%

PM 2 hrs after PWC
NH3 0.25
NO2 0
NO3 5

I'm going to retest my fresh water tomorrow night - I'm letting a sample sit covered but not sealed for 24 hrs before testing.

Coleallensmom said:
There is always one trouble maker, isn't there? ;) I've noticed with my Black skirts that if anyone gets a little worked up, it's the smallest one that gets aggressive. I'm sure it's just because he knows his size and feels threatened. You could try returning him to your LFS, but with barbs- chances are you get another just as feisty as he is when you add more to your tank after finishing your cycling. Hopefully he'll do better once you get more greens in the tank.

So today I called the LFS for advice on the little bully (my wife has named him "little piranha") and they said it normal, when I tried to discuss maybe swapping him, they said the best thing is to isolate him in a breeding net until I buy more TBs in a few weeks.

What do ppl think about keeping him separated for the rest of the cycle?

Is he actually hurting anyone or just chasing?

I would find it hard to confine a fish for more then a day, but that's just me. Being in the net will most likely stress him out.

I decided to put him in there for a few hours to see how he and the others react. The others are schooling now instead of hiding separately in all the corners. The all have there colour back including the most timid one who has been pasty looking since he started getting aggressive at the end of day one. He is full of colour but is searching for a way out. At least the others have had a couple of hours rest!! :)

So I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I tested the water before tonights PWC and there was a trace reading of nitrite. It was so slight I didn't notice at first, but I still had a test tube from last night to wash out and when I compared them there is defiantly a hint of purple in tonights test! Maybe the start of my first bacteria colony :)

Coleallensmom said:
Progress! Keep up those PWCs :)

I'm beat! I've done a 12g PWC every night for the past 5 days!!

Pvtdgrif said:
I'm beat! I've done a 12g PWC every night for the past 5 days!!

I did 50% PWC everyday once or sometimes twice everyday for 2 weeks. I have a 125g. It's hard work. That's why now I'm doing a fishless cycle n my 33g. Keep up the great work! Before you know it your tank is already cycled :D

roydooms said:
I did 50% PWC everyday once or sometimes twice everyday for 2 weeks. I have a 125g. It's hard work. That's why now I'm doing a fishless cycle n my 33g. Keep up the great work! Before you know it your tank is already cycled :D

If I'd have known about fishless cycle I'd have done it with this one. I suppose the extra exercise is doing me good! :)

Pvtdgrif said:
If I'd have known about fishless cycle I'd have done it with this one. I suppose the extra exercise is doing me good! :)

Extra exercise is always good. The good thing about fish-less cycle is that we're not harming any fish. Plus not that much PWC . I think you just do a PWC once it is cycled to lower the nitrates. I actually enjoy doing PWC. :D have fun!

BTW they don't sell pythons in the uk and there are supply issues for importing them. To buy and import one would cost nearly $80!

I've decided I'm going to make one and I think I'm going to use compressed air to start, then gravity to complete the siphon. If do get it working I'll put up a build thread! :)

Pvtdgrif said:
BTW they don't sell pythons in the uk and there are supply issues for importing them. To buy and import one would cost nearly $80!

I've decided I'm going to make one and I think I'm going to use compressed air to start, then gravity to complete the siphon. If do get it working I'll put up a build thread! :)

I don't have a python either. I am actually going to make one tomorrow when I get home. I researched about DIY python. Check the attachment(I forgot the link. I just took a pic..) it'll cost you less than $20. And some handy work. :)

Thanks for the instructions Roy. If going to have a go at making the full thing with the siphon starter. I'll let you know how it goes, but I won't be starting it until I've finished the cycle.

Today the water is slightly cloudy white and the nitrites are between 0.1 & 0.2 so I'm guessing it's a bacteria bloom. The water surface has a white layer... is that normal?

So today is day 19 and finally the figures are good ammo is 0 nitrIte is 0 and nitrAte is 5 yesterday was 0.1 0.1 and 4. I'm going to leave the tank and fishes alone for a couple of days then check the levels and if all is good this weekend I'll add a few more TBs. As seems to be the custom, here is a photo of the test results.

Attachments

• image-2879646642.jpg
    image-2879646642.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 64
Also here is a few pics of the fishes and one of the whole aquarium - check out how well the colourings have developed on my little barbs! :)

Attachments

• image-3933639961.jpg
    image-3933639961.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-4113745100.jpg
    image-4113745100.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2144686221.jpg
    image-2144686221.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3025636290.jpg