How often do I...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, I just started my first freshwater tank.

I have a 20gallon tank with a filter made for 30gallons.
I have a heater and a thermometer.

I have gravel on the bottom as well as a anubias plant and a black decorative plastic log.

Inside my tank I also have 1 Dragon Betta, 3 neon tetras, 1 Black molly, and 2 Ghost Shrimp (Although I can't find the 2nd, may be inside inside the black log)

As of this post, I have had my tank for 3 days and my fish have been inside for 2 days

My question is, how often do I do water changes, and how much water should i be taking out?
How often do I feed this fish? The pack says sprinkle lightly 1-3 times a day, but they dont exactly eat all the food. How much is lightly?
I also have a bottle of API Stress Coat+ and API Stress Enzyme+, how often do I need to put 10ml's of these inside my tank?
And, How often should I be cleaning out my tank with the siphon?

Sorry for all the questions! But your help is much appreciated!!

First off you need to read this article about cycling... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice.

Next you need to get an API Master Test kit as you need to do water testing for ammonia and nitrites daily and do a 50% WC any time either raise above .25ppm. If you don't have this test kit you need to be doing a daily 30-50% WC so ammonia and or nitrites don't raise to dangerous levels and poison the fish.

The fish only need to be fed a small pinch once daily. Add a tiny bit and see how quickly they eat it and see if they eat it all. You might be able to add a second tiny pinch if they finish all their food but they do not need much food at all.

First off you need to read this article about cycling... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice.

Next you need to get an API Master Test kit as you need to do water testing for ammonia and nitrites daily and do a 50% WC any time either raise above .25ppm. If you don't have this test kit you need to be doing a daily 30-50% WC so ammonia and or nitrites don't raise to dangerous levels and poison the fish.

The fish only need to be fed a small pinch once daily. Add a tiny bit and see how quickly they eat it and see if they eat it all. You might be able to add a second tiny pinch if they finish all their food but they do not need much food at all.

So, I went out and bought API test strips

my levels are...

GH: 180ish
KH: Between 80 and 120
PH: 7.5ish
Nitrite: 0ish
Nitrate: 0ish (It looks VERY LIGHTLY PINK)

Which is the Amonia one?
My Nitrite is Zero, so that's pretty much fine.
I wish there was a way to digitally see the number, instead of matching it up against a color on the box.
So, I should only be doing 50% water changes when Ammonia or Nitrite get above .25ppm. Except, I can't tell too well if it is above .25ppm. I don't think it is though.

So, I should only change water if the water is filled with too much Ammonia and Nitrite.

When I get the water from the tank, do I need to put the Dechlorinator inside?

You need to get the liquid master test kit. It includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and high pH testing supplies. The strips are not very accurate. It's $30-40 in stores but you can get it for 20 on amazon.

You always have to declorinated water that goes into a tank. Plus you do need the master test kit to get proper readings. During your fish in cycle you will do a WC whenever your ammonia and nitrite get above .25ppm BUT once your showing nitrates of about 10ppm you will have to begin doing 50% WC's weekly for as long as you have your tank.

Until you can get your liquid test kit, please do a 50% water change every day. Vacuum with the siphon at least every other day. ALWAYS dechlorinate, every time. Forgetting the decholrinater can kill your fish just as easily as letting you ammonia get to high.

Until you can get your liquid test kit, please do a 50% water change every day. Vacuum with the siphon at least every other day. ALWAYS dechlorinate, every time. Forgetting the decholrinater can kill your fish just as easily as letting you ammonia get to high.

How much dechlorinator do I Put? enough for 20 gallons? or for 10 gallons since I'm only taking out 50%?

How much dechlorinator do I Put? enough for 20 gallons? or for 10 gallons since I'm only taking out 50%?
You can add the dechlorinator to the new water before you put it in the tank or does the whole tank before adding the new water. If using buckets, just dose the amount for each bucket before adding to the tank.....

Back
Top Bottom