How often do you Change/Clean Media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious on this...
How often do you switch out your filter cartridge and/or scrub the filter clean?

I used to never do it, but we've had a couple of problem tanks that suffer pH crashes and de-oxygenation. I'm trying to rule things out piece by piece and wondering if this may have something to do with it.

If you scrub the filter clean of all the "goop", aren't you robbing it of the beneficial bacteria and starting the cycle over again?

I've read some conflicting info on this..

What has worked for you in the past? What's your filter maintenance routine like?

Cleaning the filter elements won't remove the nitrifying bacteria if you use the old tank water during a water change. The filter can not function properly f it is plugged up with solid matter. The bacteria are aerobic, meaning they require oxygen, which a clogged filter deprives them on. The purpose of the filter, mechanically is to trap sold material, so you can remove it.
Every tank is different, so, the time interval will vary between cleanings.However, it is good practice to keep it clean enough that the water flow isn't impeded. The nitrifying bacteria can then remove the ammonia products dissloved in the water. Whether the element needs to be cleaned or changed depends on the element itself.The reticulated foam sponges found in AquaClear filters, for example, just need a good cleaning and last for many years.
Removing the '"goop" will not be detrimental to the filter, and is not the good bacteria, but rather solid organic material that needs to be broken down by heterotrophic bacteria which compete with the nitrifying bacteria for oxygen. Removing this solid material before it breaks down will result in a slower rise in nitrate numbers

I rinse out the media with each weekly water change (in used tank water).

I rinse out the filter housing itself about once per month (in tub, tap water - be sure there is no filter media left in it, it should be empty).

I rinse out the impeller about once per month (in sink, tap water).

If you don't rinse out the "goop", you risk having your impeller get clogged, which results in an overheated and possibly burnt out filter. Not worth the risk.

I switch out my filter media only when the existing media is falling apart in my hands. Probably a few times per year.

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but when you talk about rinsing the cartridge with used tank water I'm picturing the bucket of water I siphoned out, and just "dunking" or swirling the cartridge around in it.

The only way I've ever rinsed them is under hot tap water, and it doesn't seem to do much.

Aquarium Filter Maintenance

Just curious on this...
How often do you switch out your filter cartridge and/or scrub the filter clean?

I used to never do it, but we've had a couple of problem tanks that suffer pH crashes and de-oxygenation. I'm trying to rule things out piece by piece and wondering if this may have something to do with it.

If you scrub the filter clean of all the "goop", aren't you robbing it of the beneficial bacteria and starting the cycle over again?

I've read some conflicting info on this..

What has worked for you in the past? What's your filter maintenance routine like?

Hello j...

I keep several larger tanks and rinse and or replace some of the filter media every week when I do my water changes.

By squeezing out and rinsing the old or new replacement filter media in some of the old water and just putting it all back into the filter or replacing the used up pieces, you do away with some of the good bacteria. But, the good bacteria lives on all inside surfaces of the tank and grows quickly to replace that lost to the cleaning process. So, you don't need to fret about the tank recycling. An option is to run a couple of tank filters and service one at a time.

Just an opinion from an old "waterkeeper".

B

I take my media (HOB and canister, sponges and ceramic rings) and squeeze it in old tank water during water changes, probably twice a month or so. The water turns blackish brown, pretty gross, but I've never had any problems with mini-cycles. Once a month I stick a bristle brush into the tubes and clean the filter housing too.

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but when you talk about rinsing the cartridge with used tank water I'm picturing the bucket of water I siphoned out, and just "dunking" or swirling the cartridge around in it.

The only way I've ever rinsed them is under hot tap water, and it doesn't seem to do much.

The only dumb question is the one that's not asked. :)

I'm lucky in that we hook up our water changer directly to our sink. So, while the tanks are having water removed, that water flow goes into the sink basin. I'm able to basically hold the media underneath the flow and use my fingers to get the crud off.

If you don't have a water changer, then a bucket will do.

Hot water is definitely a no-no. As mentioned, it kills your beneficial bacteria.

K.. that makes sense! I just replaced the ones in my big tank, but at the end of the week I'll start cleaning up the cartridges when I do my wc's.
Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom