How often should I change the fine filter pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmohamma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I have an eHeim 4+ (350) canister filter for a 65G tank. I've noticed that the output flow gets reduced dramatically after 3 months of changing the fine filter pad. Is this normal? I can extend it, as a feature of the filter, but is it recommend it?

-maz

Hi guys,

I have an eHeim 4+ (350) canister filter for a 65G tank. I've noticed that the output flow gets reduced dramatically after 3 months of changing the fine filter pad. Is this normal? I can extend it, as a feature of the filter, but is it recommend it?

-maz

It's best to do monthly filter maintenance at which time it's good to switch out or clean the fine filter media.

To save money you could easily switch out to filter floss. It's more expensive in the fish store, but you can buy the same thing as pillow stuffing at craft stores or even walmart. I ended up with at least a 2 year supply of the stuff for $10 fro walmart.

2013_may_29-fiberfill.jpg

Something like that which is basically a bunch of polyester fiber stuffed into a bag.

Hi guys,

-maz

Clogging is quite normal for the mechanical filter media. If it isn't clogging, either its not doing its job or your aquarium is just very clean.

Its best to do maintenance on the filter media every 1-3 months, by washing the mechanical media in the filter with tap water, washing it in tank water or changing it for new mechanical media, changing the chemical filter media (such as carbon), and soaking/swishing the biological media in tank water.

Back
Top Bottom