how often to change water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samvandersteen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

does anyone know whether its better to change the water biweekley or monthly?

also, how often do I need to rinse out the filter? This all taken into account after the fact that my tank is only a week old and I just rinsed the filter today - should I replace the water now too, or leave it till next week, etc

If you are using fish to cycle your tank, its best to do a 10-30% water change daily(depending on ammonia levels), until your tank has cycled.
After that, you can do like a 10% water change weekly. Testing your water will let you know. If you are out of a safe zone for Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrates...its time for a PWC.

Thats alot of water to lose, check for any possible leaks.

You shouldn't wash out your filter while your tank is cycling. The good bacteria are trying to establish themselves there. When changing filters, or rinsing(make sure you rinse in dechlorinated water)...never do all the filter components at the same time. I don't plan on touching my bacteria mesh unless its falling apart.
I would top off your tank to replace evaporated water whenever possible.
I'm still a newb, but that is what i have researched. If i'm wrong about anything, hopefully a more experienced person will chime in. :)

I got the 6-pack of plastic pot scrubbers at a Dollar Store and placed one in each of my filters... It sort of acts like a bio-ball as it has a ton of surface area for the good bacteria to grow on.

Ways to "wash out" your filter pack that seem to be the best is to swish it in the bucket of water when you do yoru Partial Water Change. This is more-so to shake out the solids attached to it (poop, food, other biological wastes) than to really wash it.

The activated charcoal in the filters are only good for about 6 weeks or so, or so I have heard. A lot of people cut the mesh/bag open and replace the charcoal with gravel from their tank. The theory behind this is that the gravel has the friendly bacteria in it (and will thus be in your filter). The water going through it will be biologically filtered.

Esc V. You're learning faster than I did about fish stuff. I've just recently gone from newbie to "knows enough to be dangerous".

You don't really need to rinse out your filter that often. I take it that you have a HOB (Hang On Back) filter. You should be able to take off the lid and see your water flow. If you get water cascading around the filter media and out into the overflow it is time to rinse out your filter.

I judge my water changes by the water parameters. If the nitrates start to increase, i do a water change. Rinsing the filters happens when I do a water change cuz I only rinse them in tank water, NEVER TAP WATER!!

for the most part i think whats good over all is weekly 50% water changes. each person does it different. there so many factors. many people is fine with 10-20%.

true MG. Each tank has it's own unique eco-system going on. And the water chemistry is the sure sign of knowing when and how much. If one of the chemicals is way out of balance than a larger water change is in order.

Back
Top Bottom