How Quickly to Stock 25 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my 25 gallon tank up 2/6. I have 3 anubias and 2 java ferns. At first I put in some catfish pellets to start the cycling process, then did an ammonia dose. Then, I bought some Sea Chem Stability. At the end of last week, the API master kit readings were looking really great. Saturday's readings were
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
Temp. 78.5
PH 7.6 or higher (all month the PH has stayed at the highest part of the chart).

Saturday my husband and I went to Petco and bought 4 guppies-2 male and 2 female. One guppy never swam around much in our tank and he died late Saturday night. So now we have 1 male and 2 females.

This morning's readings were
Ammonia .25
Nitrites .25
Nitrates between 40-80 (hard to read)
PH 7.6 or higher
I did a water change and then put in the water conditioner and another dose of Sea Chem stability.

I know to keep monitoring the readings and to do water changes if the readings get high.

Here are some questions:
1) My husband thinks that the dead guppy got injured in the transport process. What is the gentlest way to transport fish from the pet store to home? Is it common for fish to get injured that way?

2) Is Stress Coat or Stress Zyme helpful?

3) My latest stocking scheme thought now is to have 9 guppies (3 males, 6 females), 5 panda cory cats, and 3 honey gouramis (1 male, 2 females). I was thinking that each weekend I should add 3 fish. This coming weekend I'd add 3 more guppies, then 3 more guppies. Or should I add the rest of the guppies this weekend, then the next weekend add all the cory cats, and then all the gouramis?

i doubt your fish got injured - he probably just was not going to make it anyway. sometimes this happens. the more important part is the adding them to your tank part. read up on the drip acclimation method etc. you want to add your tank water slowly to the pet store water to get them used to your tank.

you don't need to add the stress zyme. the stress coat is just water conditioner right? that is fine. once you finish that bottle you probably want to get some prime. actually, I got the prime before I finished the bottle because it will detoxz your ammonia for about 48 hours and I am not sure about the stress coat. once you are cycled you can finish up the stress coat.

I am not a stocking expert, so I will let someone else chime in on this one, but pretty sure they don't want you to add all your fish that quickly. I wuld wait on the gouramis. not sure how hardy the cory cats are, but I know the guppies are great for cycling. nice and hardy. not sure if you want all 9 in there, but like I said I am not an expert on the stocking part.

I will say that I cycled my 20 gallon with 7 cherry barbs (all survived) 1 platy that did not make it, one that did, 1 molly, 1 dwarf gourami (that did not make it) and over the course of two months 2 batches of molly fry... some made it, some did not, but I think that is just because they were eaten not because of the water lol. now... I did have to do lots of water changes and i am sure this was not advised, but I already had the fish and no where else to put them

Heather hit the nail on the head with the guppy and zymes, etc. Ditch the stability also.
If you are getting ammonia or nitrite your tank is still cycling. I would not add any more fish until you are getting 0 ammonia and nitrite for at least 2 weeks. After that a few fish every week or 2 is fine.
Do you have a plan for all the guppy fry? They will multiply quickly and your stocking plan doesn't leave much wiggle room for more fish.

How many fish are safe to add at one time? I have a 36 gallon tank. Is 6 too many at once or should I stick to 3 or 4 at a time?

It depends on the bio load of the fish, in my opinion. You could probably get away with adding say, 6 neons at once... But I would only add 4 mollys at one time.

If I am adding 3 mollies is it safe to also add 3 of qnother fish like cory cats?

I wouldnt. You should also start your own thread... Its not really polite to ask questions on another persons thread.

Thanks for all the replies. They really help. Talvari's questions helped to clarify too.

I did another water change this morning because I got readings of .25 ammonia, .25 nitrite and 40 nitrates.

I'll wait until my ammonia and nitrites are consistently at 0 before adding another 3 guppies. Maybe I'll just stock 6 guppies to start with and then see if any fry survive. I'm not planning on protecting the fry. One site said that guppies like to live in groups, so that is why I thought 9 would be nice.

When we bought our zebra danios the store was selling alot of the schooling fish (including guppies) for a better price if you bought them in groups of 6. For example one fish might be $3 but 6 were $12.

Back
Top Bottom