How should I stock a 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so I am soon to be getting a 55 gallon tank. Not quite sure what I want to stock it with but a possible list I have is as follows:

One Heros Severus (Severum).
One Polypterus Senegalus (Cuvier's Bichir).
One Labeo Bicolor (Red Tail Shark).

Let me know if severums prefer to be in pairs or larger groups...I am hoping they will be fine solitary as I don't think a 55 would be big enough for more than 2.

This will not be a planted tank. I know severums like to destroy plants. Will the polypterus be fine with just rock to hide in?

What else would you put in there with those tankmates? Just throw some ideas out there as there may be something I have not considered that may be interesting. The severum and polypterus will probably be big enough to eat most any "conventional" small fish.

BTW- I saw pet smart around here is now carrying the cuvier's bichir for only $4.50 (most LFS sell it for $17 and up). Of course these are much smaller than what the LFS sells.

Hmm...Angelfish and Severum? Good or bad idea? They both have similar water requirements are and fairly peaceful. Severums get a little larger...Maybe I'll forget about the polypterus and have a pair of severums and maybe a pair of angelfish.

You managed to pick out all fish I have never kept, or researched!
Someone is bound to be able to help :)

Back
Top Bottom