How soon to start water changing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish-in cycling require large, frequent PWCs to keep the water safe for the fish. Not sure where you got the idea that you needed to avoid PWCs, but that's bad information.
Ammonia and nitrite should be kept below .25ppm.
Just use basic math to figure out how big and often the water changes need to be. For example, if your ammonia is 2ppm, then you'll need to do three 50% PWCs to get it to .25ppm.
1) 50% of 2ppm is 1ppm
2) 50% of 1ppm is .5ppm
3) 50% of .5ppm is .25ppm

Doing 10% PWCs is better than nothing, but not by much.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish-in cycling require large, frequent PWCs to keep the water safe for the fish. Not sure where you got the idea that you needed to avoid PWCs, but that's bad information.
Ammonia and nitrite should be kept below .25ppm.
Just use basic math to figure out how big and often the water changes need to be. For example, if your ammonia is 2ppm, then you'll need to do three 50% PWCs to get it to .25ppm.
1) 50% of 2ppm is 1ppm
2) 50% of 1ppm is .5ppm
3) 50% of .5ppm is .25ppm

Doing 10% PWCs is better than nothing, but not by much.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well honestly as stated I didnt want to do a fish in cycle and we only bought the molly and platy because they were hardy fish. This is why I wanted to avoid the PWCs
I told her they will prob kick in the process but she doesnt really listen to me.

I was originally going to do fishless with 2 shrimp and 2 snails just because they are like 30c a pop and at least something to help keep up with the plants and kick start things.

I honestly want to just avoid the partial water changes. I only vaccumed because the tank was utterly DISGUSTING and filled with so much dead material because my lighting sucked.

So (as evil as it sounds, but the name is Evil Nick) if I still wanted to treat this as a fishless cycle to expidite the process should I just leave the water alone.

I have a buddy with an aquarium thats already cycled, perhaps I can give him the fish for a while then until its done since my GF kind of understands the process now.

If you are only going away for a week or less I would probably just not feed during that time period. Those autofeeders are somewhat prone to failure.

If you are only going away for a week or less I would probably just not feed during that time period. Those autofeeders are somewhat prone to failure.

dont feed them a whole week? Dont know if I can be THAT evil lol.

Is that safe?
Should I just get my money back on the auto feeder or save it for future trips when there is more fish?

dont feed them a whole week? Dont know if I can be THAT evil lol.

Is that safe?
Should I just get my money back on the auto feeder or save it for future trips when there is more fish?
With the exception of fry and small juveniles fish can go a surprisingly long time without eating as long as they were properly fed to begin with. A week away is fine to not feed. Please note that I am not saying you should feed your fish once a week but it is OK to do so on occasion when you are taking a trip.

I would return the feeder and get your money back.

With the exception of fry and small juveniles fish can go a surprisingly long time without eating as long as they were properly fed to begin with. A week away is fine to not feed. Please note that I am not saying you should feed your fish once a week but it is OK to do so on occasion when you are taking a trip.

I would return the feeder and get your money back.

I agree 100%. They can easily go two weeks without eating at all living off stored fats. Then a small feeding once a day upon returning for 3-4 days to let them adjust without them gorging. Then back to a regular schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I FINALLY HAVE NITRITES!!!!!

Thank god. Ammonia seems to have dropped from 4 to around the two'ish range and my nitrites were finally up to about .5
At least I feel like Im moving on to the next stage in the cycle.

GOD HELP this molly

To those who suggested thank you for the every two day feeding tip as well. Much nicer and the fish really eat, not just tear apart the flakes like maniacs making a mess everywhere. (y)

Am I the only one that sees a problem here? You buy fish to keep them in a toxic environment that burns (yes literally) their gills and are worried about not feeding them for a few days... I.... really don't understand your reasoning.

If you hate water changes that much get a python or aqueon water changer. It just hooks up to the sink. You drain the tank into the sink and refill straight from the faucet.

Am I the only one that sees a problem here? You buy fish to keep them in a toxic environment that burns (yes literally) their gills and are worried about not feeding them for a few days... I.... really don't understand your reasoning.

If you hate water changes that much get a python or aqueon water changer. It just hooks up to the sink. You drain the tank into the sink and refill straight from the faucet.

I have it already. Its not that I hate water changes I just know it slows the cycle process.
I stated I did not want fish but my girlfriend pushed to put a couple in there. I know its not pleasant but they don't seem to be too bothered.
I was using a safe start type additive at least and yes I'm worried about feeding them. Why make their time worse by rubbing salt in their eyes AND starving them?

On a side note my ammonia is zero and nitrites are there so by the time I'm home it should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I too am onboard with this !!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Me too. Or maybe it's me three or four ...

Withholding food for a week doesn't induce near the suffering as ammonia toxicity does. So relieved that the tank seems to be cycling. Maybe the ammonia levels never got toxic, though the loss of your snail suggests otherwise.

You mentioned a mess in the bottom of your tank ... Before your vacation, if you haven't already, that likely should be cleaned up. Along with a very large water change.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Did a larger water change and vaccum before leaving and returned to basically throw out the hornwort and a bunch of pond snails. Lucky lucky we have pond snails now too.
Anyway ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates are at around 10.
Seems good but wanted to do a good vacuum for the plant material at the bottom.
Good to know this shouldn't affect anything.

Fish are happy and fine and I have fed them two very small portions since returning.

As for my snail death I still think he ate a portion of a fert tab cause he was right there nibbling then dead.
Both my shrimp have already molted and are near double their original size.
So all seems good.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom