how to avoid a minicycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SignalSoldier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I've had my 10g tank set up for about a month now, i added my fish 2 weeks ago and everything has been perfect.

everything is 0 including nitrates and Ph a steady 8.2.

But now I'm finding myself wanting a bigger tank...a 20 regular or long. If I switch everything over to a bigger tank, would I risk causing a mini cycle to happen?

I also kind of wanted to switch my substrate from sand to aqua soil but I was worried about it breaking down. I've read some brands last 3+ years while some last less than a year. What brands would you recommend as best?

You could setup the 20, fill it, treat the water, adjust the temp, then later move the filter and then the fish without a mini-cycle. I usually drip acclimate my fish before moving them.
I use eco complete. Not jet black but plants grow fine in it. I think it is composed of volcanic rock. Have not tried the pricier substrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey, I'm not sure about ADA aquasoil, but the Chinese brand I am using leeches ammonia. And they also do not break down.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Okay so I went ahead and bought my new aquarium today! I bought eco complete and set it up, I'm gonna let it sit for half the day or until tomorrow and transfer everything over at one time.

Should an aquaclear 20 be fine on a 20long you think? I'm gonna get a powerhead for circulation.

If its freshwater a powerhead is overkill

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on the gph of the power head. An AC20 has a max gph of 100 which is 5x turnover in a 20g. Some may feel this is adequate, some may suggest either a larger filter, a second filter or a power head for added circulation.
I run an AC50 on a heavily planted 20 long. I used to run 2 of them but did not like how the output affected the plants stems at the top of the tank.

I stand corrected freshh20.... i should have said IMO its overkill lol

I stand corrected freshh20.... i should have said IMO its overkill lol

It's cool. If the stock consisted of shrimp or fish that do not appreciate a lot of flow, then the power head is probably not necessary.

I guess I'll just stick to using a bubbler then? It's neon tetras, ghost and cherry shrimp, and ocos for now.

I want a larger fish but I don't know if a dwarf gourami will haresses the fish and shrimp?

The dwarf gourami will eat your shrimps if they fit.
Your tetras will also eat your shrimps...

Not sure about the ghosts, but the cherries for sure.

Tetras don't touch the shrimp, the gourami hasn't either so far. All is peaceful haha.

Everything is going fine still as far as the cycle, I did buy a zoo med double t5 hood though, so that should be better than the crappy 17 watt aqeon hood.

The only thing is that the ph has risen from 8.2 when I first put the water in to 8.3-8.4 with the eco complete But everything is doing fine so far.

That's good to hear about the fish and shrimp. They are an expensive snack.
I've seen the Zoo Med fluorescent fixtures reduced over the last year or so at one of the big box stores (probably phasing them out and making room for LEDs).
The slight rise in pH *might* be due to the lighting. More light, increased CO2 intake by the plants, decreased carbonic acid... This is assuming there are plants in the tank.

It does have live plants, 6 java fern and an anubis. Any ideas where I can get some good carpet plants?

Just tested my Ph thismorning and it's down to 8 now. Might still be trying to equalize somewhere. Fish are still good though, very active.

I believe the soil will make your pH lower. Just watch out it doesn't drop too low.

Also, 8+ is kind of high for shrimps, but cherries can live in a wide range.

Yeah, originally after I set it up but before I transferred anything over the oh was at 7.8 so hopefully it equalize at that. The tap here is 8.2 and that's what my 10g was steadily sitting at with sand.

Back
Top Bottom