How to change filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my new fish tank for a little over a month its been cycled. I never asked how to change out filter. When do I do it? Is there a certain way to do it? It doesn't look too bad just a little darker. Does it show what size I'll need on the filter anywhere

When the filter gets dirty, take out filter and rinse in old tank water. You shouldn't replace your filter until it is literally falling apart.

kades said:
I've had my new fish tank for a little over a month its been cycled. I never asked how to change out filter. When do I do it? Is there a certain way to do it? It doesn't look too bad just a little darker. Does it show what size I'll need on the filter anywhere

Don't replace it. Rinse it, swish it around in old tank water in a bucket and put back. No need to replace until its practically falling apart. It should say on the box. What kind of filter is it?

Oh no! Please don't change it. Most of your tanks bb lives in your filters. If you change them you've lost your cycle. Keep it in there until its just falling apart. All you would really need to do is wash it off in tank water. Don't wash it in tap water the chlorine and such will kill off your bb.

Ha I knew not to do that! I just didn't know if there was a certain rule of thumb on the time to change them out. All I've done is taken it out and swish in the tank water I was doing a pwc in and put it right back. What do I do when it is time to change it? What are the steps and the process of it?

I don't know what type it is. The tank and filter were given to me. I took the filter to the lps and they picked out a filter for me but I still don't think its just the right size it fits but it fits weird...

What type of filter is it? Some filters had multiple inserts so it's not as damaging to your system.

You may can go online and Google it. Just look on your filter and see if you can find the make and model of it then Google to see what filter it will take. That what I would do anyway

Can you maybe post a picture of it? Does it hang off the back of the tank, sit inside the tank, or beside the tank?

The majority of filters have the make on it. It's should be on the cover or side of the filter. At least with my filters and power heads.

Ok heres pics...the inside looks pretty gross to me. I also feel like something is missing, but they said that was all I needed...my nitrites and nitrates are sky high....the ammonia is fine. They told me not to touch the water to leave it alone...totally confused. Is it because the filter isn't working properly?

ForumRunner_20120105_153810.jpg

ForumRunner_20120105_153826.jpg

ForumRunner_20120105_153838.jpg

You need to do a series of water changes to get your nitrites and nitrates down.

I did a 30% 2 days ago. At the lps they basically yelled saying don't touch it to let it balance. I've been cycling or I thought I was done and ive done everything I thought I was suppose to do.

do water changes. Nitrites are toxic to fish and so are nitrates if high enough. What are your exact measurements on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? You are not cycled with nitrites.

I posted in unhealthy fish as well jsyk. They didn't give me numbers. Except acidic levels which were also high about 7.9 they just said the nitrites and nitrates were so high they weren't even on the charts. And that the ammonia was good. It was a pale yellowish color. I'm going to buy my own test kit today. I dont like how they didn't give me exacts.

Is there another insert it's says regent or something like that on it and looks basically like an aquatech filter except for I don't see a black insert. Unless it is behind it.

You lfs is so wrong and dumb where do you live? I want to go talk to them. The balancing has do with bacteria building up over time. If you leave your water at high levels your fish probably will not survive. It's to bad they don't give you the exact readings I would be trying my hardest to get it out of them and a ph of 7.9 isn't that bad. As long as it is stable your fish will be fine. Do a 50% water change at least everyday until you get your own test kit. Then just keep your nitrites below.25 ppm and nitrates below 30ppm. Even 20ppm would be better.

Also do you know what your lfs uses to test water? Strips or liquid?

Back
Top Bottom