How to change filter cartridge without having a mini cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an aqueon quiet flow hob filter, and I would like to upgrade to a new filter, and use my current filter for a qt tank. Do I put the new filter media in the current filter with the existing filter cart until it builds up bb? If so, how long? Then would I move the new media to where the old cartridge was, or just leave it? Is this the same method I would use to change out my filter cart when the old one starts to disintegrate? Would I use the same cart, or is another form of media OK as long as it fits?
Thanks in advance! Sorry for so many questions!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I upgraded my tank, I transferred all the old substrate into the new tank

Then I put the old filter into the new filter stack (had to cut the old one in half to make it fit; just put both halves in)

I didnt have any problems and the new tank didnt do a mini cycle.

You could if you had room run both filters for awhile (couple weeks) till the BB builds up in the new filter then move the old filter to the QT tank. In the future when you change the pad/cartridge out you can run not cartridges till the new builds up the Bb you need. I have done done this before it was fine.

It'd take at least 2 weeks for a decent amount of BB to get onto the new cartridge. I'd put the new cartridge with the old one for 2 weeks, then place the new one in your QT tank and let it cycle off that and leave the old one in your tank. If your old cartridge is still in okay shape (not ripping or anything), I'd leave it in there for another 1-2 months and put another new cartridge with it, so after those 1-2 months you can just throw out the old one. However I'd recommend cutting it open the old cartridge and putting the media in a mesh bag (pantyhose) and leave it with the new filter anyways. This is what I'd do at least :p

Back
Top Bottom