How to cycle new tank without ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys!

I'm a noob, sorry in advance.
I just bought my first aquarium, a little 10 gallon.
I read the article about fishless cycling with pure ammonia. Sounds great. My problem is, I can't find ammonia anywhere! I've checked two grocery stores, my Ace hardware, a couple of general stores and Walmart. I found ONE bottle of ammonia at the ValuMart but it was "lemon scented". Sheesh.
Where do you guys find the stuff?

So I was wondering, is there another way? Apart from sacrificing some fish, I mean... If I just let the tank do its thing, without fish, and without adding ammonia, will it cycle?

I have a couple plants in it. A melon sword, three marimo balls, and an onion.
Plus, the water is very brown from the root I put in there. How often can I change the water if I'm wanting to cycle this tank?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Indeed a fishless cycle isn't the only way. But if you still wanted to go that route then you could put a piece of store bought shrimp into a filter bag or clean unused nylon and put it in the tank. As it decomposes it will provide a steady source of ammonia.

Oh sorry didn't see that part apparently I was reading to fast without my glasses on and on my phone. LoL. That's wiered ace didn't have it they have there own brand mabey they were out.

ForumRunner_20130709_205846.jpg

Indeed a fishless cycle isn't the only way. But if you still wanted to go that route then you could put a piece of store bought shrimp into a filter bag or clean unused nylon and put it in the tank. As it decomposes it will provide a steady source of ammonia.

A piece of shrimp, eh? Like from a shrimp ring from the grocery store? Huh. That's an idea. Lol. Thanks.

Oh sorry didn't see that part apparently I was reading to fast without my glasses on and on my phone. LoL. That's wiered ace didn't have it they have there own brand mabey they were out.

The guy at Ace was actually pretty emphatic about them not having any and they were NOT ordering any. Lol. I dunno what the deal was.

My tank cycled with the shrimp method in 2 weeks. Only water change you have to do is a big one at the end when the tank is cycled and you need to take it out.

Cool! Thanks for the replies.

How big of a chunk of shrimp are we talking about? Does it matter? Does it have to be in the mesh or nylon?

Cool! Thanks for the replies.

How big of a chunk of shrimp are we talking about? Does it matter? Does it have to be in the mesh or nylon?

I put one jumbo shrimp in but I forgot about the mesh. Don't do it without a mesh cause when I went to pick it up with the net the whole stinky mess fell apart. Disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom