How to figure out how many gallons a tank holds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbaeunn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tank that's an end table.. I honestly don't know exactly how many gallons it holds. It's a cube shape, 15" wide and 15" high (water level wise).

The tank currently holds a few roomies..

Wondering if there's a formula I could use besides filling it one gallon at a time to see how much it truly holds?

Tank Dimensions

I have a tank that's an end table.. I honestly don't know exactly how many gallons it holds. It's a cube shape, 15" wide and 15" high (water level wise).

The tank currently holds a few roomies..

Wondering if there's a formula I could use besides filling it one gallon at a time to see how much it truly holds?

Hello dbae...

What's the length? You need three. Muliply length, width and height and divide by 231 to get gallons.

B

15x15x15=1125 divided by 231 equals 14.61 gallons.
as BBradbury said, multiply h x w x d then divide by 231= volume in gallons

Thank you all. I was guessing between 15-20gal..
I always tried to figure how many gallons of water I was dumping in but I'd get distracted or lose count w the kids around!!! Lol

Thank you all. I was guessing between 15-20gal..
I always tried to figure how many gallons of water I was dumping in but I'd get distracted or lose count w the kids around!!! Lol
If you have a picture I would like to see what this looks like.

@mikem61
Sorry for taking so long on the pictures.. took me a while to finally figure out how to get my HDX to load a pic.
I honestly have no idea how old this tank is. My aunt gave this tank to me back in Early 2000's, maybe 2002/2003? And she had it a while before that. There's actually a coffee table that goes with it, I hound her about it constantly.
... still waiting on it to show up at my house so she can shut me up:angel:

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_205931_kindlephoto-178511230.jpg
    IMG_20141005_205931_kindlephoto-178511230.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20141005_205850.jpg
    IMG_20141005_205850.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 85
The light can actually goe underneath where the black part is to shine up through clear pebbles, kids wanted "rainbow rocks" so it's upside down now on the glass top.

Back
Top Bottom