Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How to get Good Bacteria??

So I'm still having a problem with the ammo being too high. I got another tester, API, and its saying the ammo is .50. The last test kit showed .25. I talked with a guy at a fish store and he thinks the ammo isn't giving the bacteria a chance to catch up so he thinks i should stop feeding my fish for a few days. How long does it take for the bacteria to start eating this ammo? When the bacteria "catches up" will the ammo quickly drop to 0?

Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
The best way to get filter media from an established tank, but if you can get substrate and or decor from an established tank, that'll help seed your tank.

Once the "first" set of bacteria starts to use the ammo, you'll see that drop to near zero and your nitrites go up. From there you'll need the "second" set of bacteria to colonize.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Look It Up

How long has the tank been cycling?
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon
The best way to get filter media from an established tank, but if you can get substrate and or decor from an established tank, that'll help seed your tank.

Once the "first" set of bacteria starts to use the ammo, you'll see that drop to near zero and your nitrites go up. From there you'll need the "second" set of bacteria to colonize.
Very true! That's what I did. I got decor, gravel and driftwood from a friends tank along with some rocks. Now I just obtained 2 filters from a very well established Cichlid tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #5

I already cycled the tank a few months ago and have fish in it. The ammo was at 0 then all of a sudden shot up to .25 now .50. I do water change after water change and it doesn't do anything to the ammo.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Look It Up

If the tank was cycled the ammonia should be 0, so something upset the balance.

Have you removed/replaced anything in or on the tank (decorations, filter, etc)?
What size tank and what fish? Have you added any fish recently?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk315 View Post
I already cycled the tank a few months ago and have fish in it. The ammo was at 0 then all of a sudden shot up to .25 now .50. I do water change after water change and it doesn't do anything to the ammo.
We need to figure out why your ammonia shot up in a cycled tank. Have you added any new fish recently or replaced your filter media? How often are doing pwcs and how much? Have you tested your tap water/water source for ammonia as well?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

What causes the bacteria to grow? How do they form out of nothing?
Old 11-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

They don't form out of nothing. They are ever present in the water supply, air, on everything we touch and see. Under the optimal conditions present in an aquarium they reproduce quickly and form colonies.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_tothe_lijah View Post
What causes the bacteria to grow? How do they form out of nothing?
Take a deep breath, chances are you'll inhale a bunch of the Beneficial Bacteria. As MrPillow said, they're all around us, they just need the proper amount of Ammo, oxygen, lack of chlorine and time to colonize in your tank and filter.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
We need to figure out why your ammonia shot up in a cycled tank. Have you added any new fish recently or replaced your filter media? How often are doing pwcs and how much? Have you tested your tap water/water source for ammonia as well?

No new fish. I was doing 50% water changes almost every day and it wasn't doing anything for the ammo, so I figure its a waste of time. Now I'm doing them a few times a week. No matter what I do to the tank it stays at .50. I think it started after I switched to Seachem Prime. I was using API water conditioner. I might try switching back to that.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
Look It Up

Test your tap water for ammonia. The Prime shouldn't be the cause. Water changes, if doing enough of them, should reduce ammonia; if they don't the ammonia was either too high and not enough water changes were done or your tap water has some amount of ammonia in it. Can you test and let us know?

Tags
bacteria, good bacteria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com