how to obtain the biggest bioload?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20g heating tank (still cycling). What are ways to create the biggest bioload for that tank. Feed back would be fantastic.

Well right now how to get one. But later on I'll need to now how to keep it. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I think you may be mixing up bio load and bacteria colony... You're wanting to get your tank to where it can handle a good amount of fish if I'm on the same page as you... is that right?

rich6459 said:
Well right now how to get one. But later on I'll need to now how to keep it. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

If you mean to cycle a tank, you can use pure ammo,which seems to be the most popular. A raw shrimp works too, or what I like to do is use up all those sample packs of food that come in kits.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

The bioload of a tank is the mass of the fish and the food fed.

The largest bioload would simply be the most fish and feeding a lot, which I don't think is what you are asking.

Like the others I am guessing you are really asking about how to establish a healthy colony of beneficial bacteria. I prefer adding ammonia, much more even and reliable than rotting anything (food, shrimp, etc.).

Raising the temp while fishless cycling will greatly speed up the process and allow for a huge population of nitrifying (beneficial) bacteria.

My problem is I three red claw crabs and a snail. So I can't add ammoniaor turn up the temp. I'm have my temp up at like 79 btw.

And to mfd, yes I seem to have mixed up the terms sorry guys. What are good thong to put in the filter/the tank itself to promote a huge bacteria colony.

rich6459 said:
And to mfd, yes I seem to have mixed up the terms sorry guys. What are good thong to put in the filter/the tank itself to promote a huge bacteria colony.

In your case, I'd load the tank with exrta food.

Is there anything I can put in the tank that will attract good bacteria? My filter is packed with two bacteria sacs. Could I maybe put another sac on the tank floor that could help, or does the sac have to be in the filter?

rich6459 said:
Is there anything I can put in the tank that will attract good bacteria? My filter is packed with two bacteria sacs. Could I maybe put another sac on the tank floor that could help, or does the sac have to be in the filter?

Not sure what a filter sac is but in the tank is fine IMO. What do you feed the crabs and snail with? The bacteria are there already, feed them and they multiply.

The bacteria sacs is the small white cylinders in a little mesh sac you still in the filters. I'm feed the crab and snail algae wafers. Should I kinda overhead the tank until its done cycling?

rich6459 said:
The bacteria sacs is the small white cylinders in a little mesh sac you still in the filters. I'm feed the crab and snail algae wafers. Should I kinda overhead the tank until its done cycling?

I see. I'd toss in extra wafers if it were my tank. Not sure what kind of a bio load the crabs and snail would produce, the point is if you don't feed the bacteria with something, they die off.

Are you testing your water? Do you even know where you are at with respect to the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? I do agree with all suggestions so far.

Would adding pure ammonia kill any of my critters?

I wouldn't recommend adding pure ammonia at this time, your critters are doing that for you already with their waste. The key for you now is regular testing and water changes while you cycle your tank with fish. You really don't want you ammonia or nitrites (which will come later) to rise above 0.25 ppm. Whenever it gets that high you want to perform a water change. I recommend at least 50%. As time goes by you will eventually start to read some nitrates. When that happens you'll know your tank is cycled and you will be performing water changes to remove those same nitrates.

rich6459 said:
Would adding pure ammonia kill any of my critters?

IMHO I wouldn't add pure ammo to spare the critters you have from harm (ammo burn). When I'm seeding a new tank, I use the packets of free food from kits that have piled up. Thrown in or in a mess bag (AKA my GF's torn nylons).

What are your water results?

I'm getting readings of .25 ammonia and lower. No nitrites or nitrates yet. It's been about a week and a half since I've started the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom