How to safely upgrade aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softmushroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently picked up a 20g long and currently i have a 10g.

I picked up a new filter, some new sand substrate, new decorations.

Can someone tell me a guide on how to safely transfer everything with out starting a new cycle in my 20g?

What do i need to do to keep my fish safe in my 10g while moving all the equipment to my 20g?

How do i safely move my 10g substrate to my 20g?

Do i let my 10g filter run in a bucket of used water from my 10g to keeo the bacteria safe? and then once my 20g is in place do i dump all my 10g water into it then boost up the heater and my 10g filter next to my new filter i purchased?

Any other tips i need to do? Or suggestions? Im really scared that i might mess up in the transfering process and i dont want to lose any fish or bacteria .

I recently picked up a 20g long and currently i have a 10g.

I picked up a new filter, some new sand substrate, new decorations.

Can someone tell me a guide on how to safely transfer everything with out starting a new cycle in my 20g?

What do i need to do to keep my fish safe in my 10g while moving all the equipment to my 20g?

How do i safely move my 10g substrate to my 20g?

Do i let my 10g filter run in a bucket of used water from my 10g to keeo the bacteria safe? and then once my 20g is in place do i dump all my 10g water into it then boost up the heater and my 10g filter next to my new filter i purchased?

Any other tips i need to do? Or suggestions? Im really scared that i might mess up in the transfering process and i dont want to lose any fish or bacteria .

Don't replace the water, better to start new. It carries very little bacteria. I would first run the new filter in the old tank along with the old filter so it has a strong bio filter. Do this for a few weeks.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Nothing to complicated:
Re-home your fish into a bucket, they will survive there for at least 24 hours (my had to wait for 3 days). Drain old aquarium, vacuum substrate while you at it. Put substrate in new aquarium, fill half way with treated water, Put it in the fish and reuse the water in fish bucket.
As far as filtering either place the media from the old one into new one or just run the two side by side for a week or two.

Don't replace the water, better to start new. It carries very little bacteria. I would first run the new filter in the old tank along with the old filter so it has a strong bio filter. Do this for a few weeks.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ������

Wouldnt the current of both my filters make a hazzardfor my fish? Esp for my betta. Also i was planning to transfer my filter media to the new filter. Note: im using aquaclwar 30 but bought a aquaclear 50

Nothing to complicated:
Re-home your fish into a bucket, they will survive there for at least 24 hours (my had to wait for 3 days). Drain old aquarium, vacuum substrate while you at it. Put substrate in new aquarium, fill half way with treated water, Put it in the fish and reuse the water in fish bucket.
As far as filtering either place the media from the old one into new one or just run the two side by side for a week or two.

Drain my 10g completely? I dont have to use that water in my 20g?

Wouldnt the current of both my filters make a hazzardfor my fish? Esp for my betta. Also i was planning to transfer my filter media to the new filter. Note: im using aquaclwar 30 but bought a aquaclear 50

It's not that hard to soften current. Put a piece of plastic or something to soften distance. Or just fill it up more, not too sure on this one.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

You can also just put your filter media from your old filter in with the new media if it'll fit in your aquaclear 50 filter. That's what I've done when upgrading.

Edit: never mind. This was already pointed out. Sorry for repeating :p

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom