How to seal driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plowboy91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
An aquarium book recommended using concrete pond sealant that is plant and animal safe to seal the driftwood so it doesn't rot. I haven't had much luck except for an epoxy sealer that is called Pond Shield. Unfortunately it is about $75 for 1.5 quarts which will be calling it close since my driftwood is for a 150 gal. tank. Any suggestions or experience with this?

I have driftwood (quite a few pieces) in my 55 gallon tank and it doesn't really "rot". I guess wood can/will react differently but I am not sure that it should be sealed with anything. In fact, I have never heard of doing this to driftwood. I am not saying that it hasn't been done, but it's new to me. I have heard of using silicon to adhere it to glass and such.

I have a stump that I pulled out of the Lake that had been under water since 1952 (when the lake was filled) Hardwoods last a long time under water

I wouldn't seal it either. I would do your best to sanitize it with boiling water (or, if absolutely necessarily) bleach. With bleach you have to be very sure to take extra time to remove and neutralize the bleach.

Many fish, such as plecos, really enjoy having driftwood to rasp upon.

I have my PH that disperses CO2 shooting against my driftwood. It seems to be slowly rotting but I can't tell whether it is from the carbonic acid, or because its the wrong type of wood (I found, aged, and cleaned it myself).

But it most situations it will last (near) forever.

I read the same thing but I have never sealed any driftwood in any of my aquariums.

I just got a new tank and put my drift wood soaking in the httest possible water in my bath rub for about an hour before putting in my tank...worked fine for me

I'm a big fan of boiling driftwood. Got a big cheap stock pot from Walmart ~$8. Boiled the driftwood for 3 hours(changed the water halfway through), then soaked it in a bucket of declorinated water for 3 days, then put it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom