How To Soften Hard Water Without Clouding Up The Tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloydCrook

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am still in the process of setting up a 75 gallon tank for freshwater fish (barbs). I did not read the fine print regarding very hard tap water for some Proper PH 6.5 powder which was supposed to automatically stabilize the PH level at 6.5, and my tank water became VERY cloudy. After attempting to use water clarifiers which didn't help; I decided to empty the tank, refill it, and do as that fine print stated by using a water softening pillow to soften the water first which was supposed to prevent the cloudiness. I intended not to use the Proper PH 6.5 again and threw it out. I decided I would just use Sera Super Peat to lower the PH. Well, after about three days the water became as cloudy as it did before, and now I am stumped on how to lower my PH level and soften my water without making the water extremely cloudy. Maybe I should add a little salt, about 1 tablespoon per 15 gallons and add about one-fourth the normal dose of some liguid water softener at the pet shop. Maybe by doing this once a week for 2 or 3 weeks, then adding a water softening pillow, then using the Sera Super Peat as a chemical filter media will my water be lowered to the soft and slightly acidic state barbs are supposed to like. Anyway, any advice on how to do this without making the water so cloudy would be greatly appreciated.

*Color and Font size edited*

First things first. What is your normal ph level? Secondly, using chemicals to alter your ph is not going to keep your ph level stable. It will continuously bounce around, especially after PWC's. Using peat will lower it but that will also not last over the long run.

Read this Article regarding lowering of a tank's ph. It will help you tremendously.

Yeap stability is the key for most tanks. The only reason one would need to change the pH is in a case where a species of fish will only reproduce in an acidic environment. In that case, adding RO/DI water to your tank will be the easiest way.

I am new with this setting up aquarium.

My problem is water always cloudy. I changed new water nearly every 2 days but won't help.

What should I do?

Aquarium guy shows me and I bought nearly everything he recommended but not successful.

Someone would show me please

First of, I'd echo what others said: no need to mess with your pH. Most fish will adapt to whatever your tap pH is (assuming it is not too extreme). Otherwise your best bet is mixing your tap with distilled or RO water to dilute out the KH. Adding chemicals is not the solution.

Cloudiness in the water may not be due to the pH chemicals ....

More info is needed. I am assuming this is a newly set up tank & not cycled. We need to know what is in the tank (substrate, decor, & fish or plants), lighting, filters, and basic water parameters.

The cloudiness can be dust from your substrate, a bacterial or algae bloom. or something else ....

PS - I'd always take LFS recommendations with a grain of salt & independently verify the info. Unless you have a very good shop (rare around here), most LFS employees are not very knowledgable & only interested in selling you stuff .... whereas the solution might be something far simplier.

Back
Top Bottom