How to transfer fish & shrimp to bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 10 gallon with neon tetras and red cherry shrimps. I will be moving them to a 40B tank. Since my 10 gallon is a planted tank, I want to move my substrate (eco complete) into the 40B also. Would I have to clean it before adding it to the new tank? How can I transfer my fish and shrimps without any deaths or causing them to become ill. Can I do all this in one day? Any tips? This is my first time and makes me nervous to lose a fish or shrimp.

Making sure the filter in the new tank is cycled is probably the most important thing. Matching temperature and pH probably comes next. Basically you'll want the water conditions to be as similar as possible.

I can't think of a reason you'd need to wash the substrate. Just be prepared for a cloudy mess for a while things settle down.

As far as the actual transfer goes, I just fill a bucket with tank water and place my fish into it and then transfer to the new tank. Truthfully though, I've never transferred shrimp.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would try using a brine shrimp net for your pet shrimp. I think maybe they would get caught up in a regular net.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Making sure the filter in the new tank is cycled is probably the most important thing. Matching temperature and pH probably comes next. Basically you'll want the water conditions to be as similar as possible.

I can't think of a reason you'd need to wash the substrate. Just be prepared for a cloudy mess for a while things settle down.

As far as the actual transfer goes, I just fill a bucket with tank water and place my fish into it and then transfer to the new tank. Truthfully though, I've never transferred shrimp.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you, I am getting my filter today and going to add some of my bio-rings from an establish tank. Hopefully this will speed up the cycle.

I would try using a brine shrimp net for your pet shrimp. I think maybe they would get caught up in a regular net.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it will also make it easier to catch the shrimps too. Thank you for the good idea.

My main tip is to partially water change the smaller tank with water from the larger tank. Do this a few times over a week and your small tank water will be near identical to the livestock new home.
As you're moving substrate I would get a large bucket of the smaller tank water. Transfer all the stock into the bucket. Put in the filter and heater from the small tank if possible. Loosely cover the bucket with a dark cloth to settle them down. Do not feed them.
I would swish the substrate in the small tank with the remaining water, very messy and smelly. Then net the gravel and transfer it to the new tank. I would slide it down a length of drain pipe so it does go through the whole water column.
If your fish are happy then I would wait a few hours for the dust to settle before moving them in.
Best of luck - I hate moving substrate!

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

My main tip is to partially water change the smaller tank with water from the larger tank. Do this a few times over a week and your small tank water will be near identical to the livestock new home.
As you're moving substrate I would get a large bucket of the smaller tank water. Transfer all the stock into the bucket. Put in the filter and heater from the small tank if possible. Loosely cover the bucket with a dark cloth to settle them down. Do not feed them.
I would swish the substrate in the small tank with the remaining water, very messy and smelly. Then net the gravel and transfer it to the new tank. I would slide it down a length of drain pipe so it does go through the whole water column.
If your fish are happy then I would wait a few hours for the dust to settle before moving them in.
Best of luck - I hate moving substrate!

Thank you! Does the bigger tank need to be cycle when I transfer the fish and adding the substrate? I will be adding the smaller tank's filter to the bigger tank

If your new tank has the same filter and the same fish then it should cope without a major cycle. Moving and cleaning gravel and decor does have some small effect so just be vigilant with your water tests and water change as needed.

Thanks, I will have to cycle my bigger tank since it is not up and running before I add the fishes.

Back
Top Bottom