How to treat a cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queball98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tank with cichlids and it's been cloudy for a while I have done water changes I've tried conditioners I've replaced my filter and clean my gravel.

I have a 20 gal tank with cichlids and it's been cloudy for a while I have done water changes I've tried conditioners I've replaced my filter and clean my gravel.
Could you give us more info about how old the tank is? Is it cycled? How many fish? Water parameter?

It's been running about two weeks it has 8 fish
so you haven't cycled the tank?
Please read about nitrogen cycle.
8 cichlids in a 20gal tank sounds also very crowded to me.
Please where are the experts here? More opinions please.

They are small cichlids almost infant size and yes I have cycled it

you have posted that you have the tank running for about two weeks.
Cycling a tank takes at least 6 to 8 weeks.
Do you have a water testing kit?
What are the readings for:
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
ph

your water is cloudy and that could be bacteria bloom which happens in the early stages of cycling a tank. I strongly recommend to test your water on a daily base to keep your fish safe during the cycling process.

Turtle71 is correct. Cycling your tank is code for more than running your equipment - it's shorthand for the process of building your nitrogen cycle to support your fish.
Now that you have fish already, you're in the process of what is called a "fish-in" cycle and you will need to take steps to keep your fish safe.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

The cloudiness is expected. Don't replace your filter. If the sponge has gunk, swish it in old tank water. You'll need the test kit - API Master Freshwater Test Kit - $20 on Amazon.

I also agree with Turtle71 about your stocking selections, but I try to focus on the cycling help. Other people will likely chime in about that though.

Back
Top Bottom