Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't empty the tank, because you already have the frog in there. I would vaccum most of the fish crap out of there, because that'll keep your ammonia levels up, even after the tank is cycled. The frog will produce waste, which will serve as an ammonia source. If you're getting a reptile tank to use for fish, make sure it can hold water. I was at a pet store the other day and I saw a sign posted by the reptile tanks that said "These tanks will not hold water safely" I guess they're designed differently? So check into that.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

when you mention the turkey baster to clean the rocks... is it as simple/straightforward as i think it is??? aim the baster at the crud, suck it up, spit it into a bucket outside the tank... then refill with water?

edit:

i like the live plants and tossed a few in, the filter on high setting really clears the water fast, but sucks the poor little frogs legs into it, he swam away, but had a hard time. they like to float in this weird position, almost spread eagle and hunt for floaties. i turned the filter down. now i don't know if the filter killed the fishies, or the tank wasn't cycled. uncle said he had the tank running three weeks before he gave it as a gift... maybe the move in the car roughed the goldies up.

i'm also contemplating a spotted catfish for the tank. just one, or do they need a buddy... and another frog when they come in.

thanks for the replys and the great forum! very mature crowd and very well informed.

uglygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would also point out that tanks designed for reptiles are typically not capable of the pressures put on aquariums. I would highly recommend not filling up a tank that was bought with the intent of housing reptiles. IF it did not immediately fail, I think it would pretty soon down the line. THAT is a mess.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO and IME, I think the goldfish died because they're goldfish...in a 2.5 gal tank. My very first aquarium was a 10 gal and I kept 2 goldfish in there. One would die, and I would replace it. Then the other one would die. And I would replace it. I went through 17 goldfish in 2 months. I had one guy in there and I was sure he was going to die. I continued to take care of the tank and he lived! He had been in there by himself for 2 months and he was doing great. So I bought him a buddy. Guess what...They died. I found out that goldfish need at least 10 gal each, because they excrete twice the amount of waste as other fish (if not more). The ammonia quickly builds up in a goldfish tank and the water gets polluted very fast.
As for the catfish.... Most cats get big. Check on the adult size of the cat. If you can find out the common name (as I am not familiar with scientific names) I may be able to give you some info on the species you're looking into. The only spotted cats I can think of off the top of my head are the raphael talking catfish, or the pictus. Both of these would not be siutable for the tank. Pictus are streamlined swimmers, swim very fast, and need lots of room to be happy (at least a 29 gal). They also get to about 5-6 inches. The raphael will not be nearly as active, but it gets too large for that size tank. I saw one in a LFS that was about 10 inches! I don't think they're supposed to get that big (only 4-6 inches). But this one was huge!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #15

it's the raphael...

i'll be investing in a larger tank sooner than i thought... curse my brother and his xmas gifts!!! he did this to me with brewing my own beer a few years ago... a simple starter kit evolved into a fullblown basement brewery, now i rarely buy commercially produced beer.

i already got the itch for fishies and am pricing tanks and equipment above twenty gallons for a few months down the road!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

A good way to go is with starter kits. Most include almost everything you need. I got a 29 gal starter kit for less that $100. The only additional purchases I needed were an air pump, hose and airstone (which will run you about $20). Of course you also need substrate and decor. Compared to what it cost piece by piece, I saved alot of money. They also have 55 gal starter kits. I have one of those also. I paid around $130 for mine on sale.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #17

the starter kits are what i'm eying, now it's the toss up between the twenty and the twenty nine... the difference is twenty dollars.

i do however, really like the look of the long shallow tank. i'm only looking to put some plants in and rocks and have some catfish kicking around. maybe the frogs, but really i'm not too interested in them. i like the bottom feeders, and the variety of south american cats are cool imo.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

That might make a really nice home for a hermit crab too. They dont ask for much, some dry sand ,a few pretty shells, dish of water, dish of food. And the small tank would be really neat. Plus they are making great hermit crab goodies these days.
As for the Goldies... those are the most prone to disease, terrible digestive tracks, dirty. Why there is this Myth that they are great beginners fish I wont ever understand.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com