How's my pH, Ammonia, Nitrite levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M Riley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone on December 18 I set up my new 45 gal fresh water tank, I did do some homework into how to set up my tank (somewhat) ex: Filter, rocks, air stone, heater, etc…. . I put fish in my tank on December 24 with the advice of a PetSmart associate (bad mistake) this was before I was aware of testing my water, fish in cycling, and joining this forum. On December 25, 4 out of 5 fish died with in one day. 1 survived, the Angel fish going on week 2 1/2. The Angel fish is still kicking but not very active. It just hangs out on the bottom, but does eat once a day. I've done water changes every 2 - 3 days about 25% with added Nutrafin Cycle and Nutrafin AQUA+plus solutions (bottle recommended amounts). Today, I finally got a API Master test kit and here are my results…. After a 25% water change…...

pH - 7.4 - 7.5
High pH 7.8 - 8.0
Ammonia 0.25 - 0.50 ppm
Nitrite 2.0 ppm

Any input, guidance, and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Do daily water changes, minimum 50%.

Stop using the 'cycle' products. It obviously didn't work for you (they rarely do).

Just use water and a good dechlorinator.

PWC ASAP to get the ammonia and nitrite down to .25ppm or lower. That is why your angel isn't looking too good. Minimum 50% water change a day from now until your cycled.
The only thing you need to add is a product to dechlorinate. Stop using the cycling product.

Back
Top Bottom