Hurricane Preparedness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looks like a hurricane is headed this way in 5 days. What should I do to prep for power outages? My uncle who does not have fishtanks said get a boat battery & an inverter, should last me a day or so. Or could I get by on a computer back up battery power strip, running the filters on & off? Thanks!!

I just setup my battery backup for my tank. You really only need it on the filter, and air pump if you have it. But the minimum is a air pump so the o2 stays in the tank. They sell battery operated airaters that turn on when the power goes out. But your best bet is a computer UPS. IMO APC is the best, I come from an IT background and they are the only company I trust.

EDIT: You can use a sponge filter on an airater to provide some filtering as well as o2. Depends on the size of the tank, but it would be a good solution for a few hours. GL in the storm hope everything stays safe!

Great, Thks!! I have a bubble stone w/ a square bio-sponge in there now plus a HOB filter. I could probably wire the filter above the bubble stone so they get air too b/c I'd hate to lose all that BB!!

Back
Top Bottom