I am thinking about trying to divide a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have decided I want another betta so I am thinking about trying to divide a tank. I don't need a heater of filter but I really want to find a cheap reliable tank to carry out my project on. Is there anywhere in the UK where I can get a glass fish tank for a reasonable price? Sorry if this is on the wrong thread.

Make your own using silicone and glass panels. A 30cm rimless cube would cost maybe 20-30 dollars to make.

If there's a petco in the UK, they might be having the same sale as here. A dollar per gallon for 10's 20H, 20L, 29, 40B and 55's. It ends tomorrow though.

I heard about that sale, unlucky for me we don't have a petco here :( My auntie works at a primary school with loads of tanks that they didn't have the time to look after so she's going to get me one, hopefully she remembers :) If not, I have found a clearseal fish tank for £20 hopefully they aren't rubbish lol

I was just going to say Clearseal. I am thinking of getting one myself. Although they are very difficult to find information on and they don't specify the litres capacity for some reason.

I know, I did notice. The one I found is 18x10x10 inches which is 6.5 gallons, i've been doing some math and dividing 18 in half, would give me 9x10x10 which is approx 3.2 gallons for each fish and i'm not sure if that is going to be big enough. Clearseal for some reason don't do a 10 gallon and if they do I cant find one anywhere lol.

Wait is that UK gallons or US gallons? If it's UK that makes it to about 2.8 gallons per fish anyways that's plenty enough for most fish. EDIT: Nevermind, that's a betta, not enough most definitely. What's the next highest size for clearseal?

Its UK gallons. The next size up would be 15 nearly 16 gallons which I don't want. I think I may just go around the stores and see whether they can do me a deal on just the tank, its not like I want something fancy just a basic tank to attempt to divide lol. I saw loads on ebay a few weeks ago but do you think I can find any now lol

If that is imperial gallons, then that tank is actually 1.2*6.5 or ~ 8 US gallons. <Crepe, i think you have your conversion backwards...>

At 4 US gallons per betta, that is actually a pretty good size. <Of course, if you are going for show bettas, the usual tank size for these pampered specimens are 10 to 20 gallons each, so the 16 gal is not out of the question for 2.>

Last edited:
Its UK gallons.

Best to use either litres or US gallons on this site. Anything else without qualifying it throws us all into confusion :p.

Of course I understand litres best, but then I now also have a good understanding of US gallons reading this and other sites, I don't have a clue about imperial gallons!

Lol you're right I got the conversion backwards haha. 5 gal per fish is pretty good. I'm better with litres than anything else. Anyways. I'm thinking that the 60 litre model would be better allotting 30litres per fish but that's just me.

I already have 5 betta's and I always use filters, even for my snails lol :)

I still can't find a fish tank :mad: I think I may go with the 18x10x10 Clearseal 6.5 which is, wait......... 7.8 US gallons and ....... 29.5 US litres..........or around about haha. I can always upgrade when I find my perfect 10 gallon, I'm just too darn impatient lol

When I cycled my last tank, I used a thermometer, heater, plants and tank water from another tank to help cycle faster. If I did something similar in the new tank I'm getting and also added a used filter how long do you think it will take to cycle?

Skip out on the old water, since very little bacteria live in the water column. A piece of filter media and/or some gravel from an established tank would be good, and like Mark said, you might not have a cycle, depending on your bio-load.

Stocking a fish tank and the cycling process always gets me lol I understand what has to happen but it still manages to confuse me lol

Does anyone know if the Clearseal 18x10x10 fish tanks come with a light? on the internet it just says with a hood and I noticed with the bigger tanks if you want a light you have to buy a separate hood

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom