I decided to pull out my 10G but have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azimuth

Aquarium Advice Regular
I figure that while I wait to find the right ~75G tank, I will practice on a 10G I had in the garage.

I can't seem to find the whisper filter that came with the tank, so I guess I need to go and buy something, hopefully inexpensive.

what type of filter should I get for such a small tank?
It will be planted. I have pool filter sand and vermiculite for the substrate.
I will use a Compact Fluorescent bulb.

can I do a fishless cycle with plants if I take some rocks and gravel from my existing 20G non-planted tank?

Eventually I will stock it with a shoal of Tiger Barbs (how ever many I can get into a 10G planted tank)
I love Tiger Barbs but I hear you can't put them in a community tank so this will be perfect.

Anyway, the main question was, what filter should I get?
If I ever want to add co2 do I need any special type of filter?

I have an AquaClear 20 on my 10g. I like it because it's easy to operate and maintain. It's easy to change/rinse the filter media and the filter container is clear so you can see the media inside (if it's all dirty from sand and needs to be rinsed). It has adjustable flow if you need low current. It's quiet. I only hear splash back whenever the water level is low. I wouldn't hear my tank at all if it wasn't for the air pump.

The media I use in my filter is the sponge it comes with on the bottom, then the BioMax (for more bacteria surface, why not?) and then some polyfiber (pillow stuffing) to keep the tank clear of a dust storm. ^_^

Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Powerfilters

i've only ever had an AquaClear hob filter on the recommendation of my brother and many aquarists on this forum. they are very efficiant and have a lot of room for filter media in it with an adjustable flow rate.
if you can i would use a bit of the filter media from your 20g and put it in your new filter. or you can run the new filter on the 20g for a few weeks and your 10g will be instantly cycled.

Does that AquaClear filter have a biowheel?
I hate those **** biowheels because they always stop turning, and you can't replace 50% of a biowheel at a time.

Cool. I'm going to go pick one up in a minute.
to cycle with plants, what temperature do I need to have the water?
I will be using some biomass from my fluval 204 so I hope that speeds things up.
I am taking photos so I can't wait to start a build thread.

Agreed, AC20 will be perfect for you.

How heavily planted are you planning to do? If you have sufficient lighting for the plants, have lots of plants, and have fast growing plants you can do what's called a silent cycle. Basically, you never see much of a cycle, if any at all, because the plants will consume the ammonia and the nitrite.

I hope to have lots of plants and as much wattage as I need (using Compact fluorescent bulbs). I plan to start with just a single fixture with something like a 40W bulb and see how high I get before I get algae growth.
What should I use to feed ammonia?
I could throw a Guppy or two in from my other tank.

40W is a considerable amount of light for a 10g. I wouldn't go any higher unless you intend on injecting CO2 and fertilizing the tank. I know the WPG rules breaks down below 20, but that's a good amount of light. Make sure your bulb(s) are in the 5000k to 10000k range as well.

Your other tank - if you can get the filter media from it and cram it in your new filter, you'll never see a cycle. This is how many of us insta-cycle tanks, by keeping "seeded" material in our tanks ready for setup of a new one. I would recommend going that route. That, coupled with a lot of plants, and you'll be all set very quickly.

When talking about aquarium watts/gallon Do you consider the Comapct florescent replacement watts or the actual watts it consumes?

I'm at Lowes and the only daybright bulbs they have are the 60Watt replacements (13W)
I bought a fixture that I think will work perfectly.

The comparison is to incadescents which are basically useless for growing plants. The 13 watts is how you would figure out the amount of lighting for plants.

The Lowe's in my area have started to carry Feit Electric "Daylight 60" CFLs that are 13 watts and emit 5800ºK light. The best part is they are only 99¢. I also use the AC20 on a 10 gallon tank and it seems to do a nice job for me.

I will only have 2x13W with what I picked up. I think I'll take them back and get the higher output daybright bulbs

2x13 will put you in solid medium light territory, good enough for a good variety of plants & no absolute need for CO2, etc.

If you can get some media from the 20 (say 1/2 of a filter) & cram it into the 10's, you would have an instant cycle & be able to move some of the guppies over to the 10 right away. This will keep things going nicely till you get your plants established before you switch out the guppies for barbs.

Actually 26 watts is very little light over a 10 gallon, especially if using the spiral compact flourescents. The WPG "rule" breaks down over aquariums under 20 gallons, and you actually need more light than it indicates. My guess is that 26 watts would be a nice solid low light.

I have started a photo log if you guys want to see what I made.
I am waiting for the water to clear and the liquid nails I used to make the light to dry.
Then I will post photos of the aquarium with some plants in it.

Back
Top Bottom