I did everything wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle71

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everybody, here I am finally and I am in so much trouble.
I started my first ever aquarium three weeks ago and made already so many mistakes. I thought I did my homework but I have to admit that it was not enough.
First mistake: only a 10 gal tank. oh what a headache
Second mistake: after one week added three platy fish.....and used the gravel vacuum....:banghead:
After two weeks added three cory cat fish. I was worried about the mess on the gravel....PLEASE don't smack me.....I know already that was stupid.
Two days later the disaster hit:
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrate 40
Nitrite 1.0

rush to pets smart for advise. I had to use ammonia neutralizer for two days with filter out.
ok I did that together with daily 30% water changes. After four days I put the filter back in.
Now I don't understand my daily water testing.
Ammonia stays at 0.5 but I have zero
Nitrite or Nitrate.
That is confusing to me and I don't understand where I am in the cycling process. It seems that this neutralizer messed everything up.
PH stays stabile by 7.5.
My fish is doing fine thank God. What a dummy I am :hide:
I reduced the food, change every day 30% of the water because of the ammonia. I leave the gravel alone!! Can anybody tell me what is happening in my tank? Should I just be patient now and continue with what I am doing or what? Please help.

hello everybody, here I am finally and I am in so much trouble. I started my first ever aquarium three weeks ago and made already so many mistakes. I thought I did my homework but I have to admit that it was not enough. First mistake: only a 10 gal tank. oh what a headache Second mistake: after one week added three platy fish.....and used the gravel vacuum....:banghead: After two weeks added three cory cat fish. I was worried about the mess on the gravel....PLEASE don't smack me.....I know already that was stupid. Two days later the disaster hit: Ammonia 1.0 Nitrate 40 Nitrite 1.0 rush to pets smart for advise. I had to use ammonia neutralizer for two days with filter out. ok I did that together with daily 30% water changes. After four days I put the filter back in. Now I don't understand my daily water testing. Ammonia stays at 0.5 but I have zero Nitrite or Nitrate. That is confusing to me and I don't understand where I am in the cycling process. It seems that this neutralizer messed everything up. PH stays stabile by 7.5. My fish is doing fine thank God. What a dummy I am :hide: I reduced the food, change every day 30% of the water because of the ammonia. I leave the gravel alone!! Can anybody tell me what is happening in my tank? Should I just be patient now and continue with what I am doing or what? Please help.
So what exactly are your parameters right this moment? Same as above? Quickly before we get into your water, your stock is heavy for the tank you have, can you take these fish back except for 2 platys?

Can't bring the fish back. It's to late unfortunately.
I am planning on having a bigger tank soon but what to do in the meantime?
The water reading was this morning exactly as mentioned above with 0.5 ammonia and zero nitrite and nitrate.
Tab water doesn't have any ammonia.
I use Top Fin Water Conditioner with every change.

Can't bring the fish back. It's to late unfortunately. I am planning on having a bigger tank soon but what to do in the meantime? The water reading was this morning exactly as mentioned above with 0.5 ammonia and zero nitrite and nitrate. Tab water doesn't have any ammonia. I use Top Fin Water Conditioner with every change.
Alright, than consider adding 3 more Cory's when you upgrade, they like groups better! I'd say do some 50% wc to knock the amm down, 2 in the next couple gourde should have you safe, just make sure to temp match new water, you prob kicked in a mini cycle, I don't know much about the chems you added but diluting them out should help, don't listen to pet store people! Haha

Yeah adding more corys is the plan. I love these little guys.
And yes, I will not listen to pet smart people anymore. ok this stuff got the ammonia down but I probably would have gotten the same results just by a lot of wc as I am doing them now anyways. In his opinion I was supposed to leave the tank alone for a week after adding the neutralizer. Ya right because then my fish would be dead by now.
Should I do 50 % wc every day for a week? Half of the water sounds so much.

Yeah adding more corys is the plan. I love these little guys. And yes, I will not listen to pet smart people anymore. ok this stuff got the ammonia down but I probably would have gotten the same results just by a lot of wc as I am doing them now anyways. In his opinion I was supposed to leave the tank alone for a week after adding the neutralizer. Ya right because then my fish would be dead by now. Should I do 50 % wc every day for a week? Half of the water sounds so much.
They are great! I have 6 dwarfs in my 20, they always tell people "hey dump this crap in there and don't touch it for a week" horrible advice! Exactly, change water today to get amm below .15-.25 ppm and trite 0, test tom and if say you have .5ppm of amm do a 50% wc you will have .25ppm than another will have you darn close to 0!
Make sure to shut off filter and heater during wc.

Thank you so much for your help. I will do 50% right away and test tomorrow morning again. I will keep you updated. thx again:flowers:

Anytime! May have to do more than one today, I know it's a pita but your fish will be dancing happy in cleaaannnn water! I do about 20-30 gals a week;)

ok I did the 50% wc and tested the water two hours later.
Ammonia is at 0 :)
But now the next question arises....what about the cycle that needs to happen when there is no Ammonia in the water? Is the tank still cycling?

ok I did the 50% wc and tested the water two hours later. Ammonia is at 0 :) But now the next question arises....what about the cycle that needs to happen when there is no Ammonia in the water? Is the tank still cycling?
with that many fish it will build up in no time. Just keep a close eye on the process, no chems other that conditioner, you should be fine!

Thank you Brookster. I hope I will have my 40 gal tank soon..that is what I am dreaming about. My Corys will probably go nuts in such a huge tank.
Is it really much more difficult to have a tank with some real life plants? I think my platys would love it.

Thank you Brookster. I hope I will have my 40 gal tank soon..that is what I am dreaming about. My Corys will probably go nuts in such a huge tank. Is it really much more difficult to have a tank with some real life plants? I think my platys would love it.
The 40 breeder is a great tank! Cory's will love all the ground to cover! Oh what do you have for substrate? Not really, plants actually feed on nitrates to some extent do they can improve water quality! Low tech look into java fern, anubais, and ozelot swords grow huge!

I have gravel from pet smart, a log and some plastic plants. Plants are all in one corner for the platys. I tried to make everything as close as possible to there natural environment.

As before keep up on the testing and pwc's.

When you get your big tank set up, get sand in there - your corys will love you for it! :lol:

I have gravel from pet smart, a log and some plastic plants. Plants are all in one corner for the platys. I tried to make everything as close as possible to there natural environment.
Is it round smooth gravel or course not so round and smooth gravel?

it's exactly this kind of gravel:
Petsmart.com

yes I would like to add sand into the new tank as well because I read that Corys like to dig themselves into it. sand for my sweet Corys and plants for the platys.
But first of all I have to keep them safe and sound in the small tank until the new one is ready to go.
I noticed that the glass on the inside is starting to look quite dirty kind of whitish. is that the beginning of algae? Since I made already the mistake by using the vacuum way to early I am not sure when to clean the glass. What is your suggestion? thank you for any help. I love my fishies :fish2:

Pics? That link was a dead end, basically Cory's have barbels (feelers) which can be worn down by course/rough gravel and result in bacterial infections , which they most likely will succumb to. Sand is ideal, river rock or tumbled gravel will do as well..

no pics...sorry
It's Marina decorative gravel. not round but small and smooth. Dust free, non toxic and apparently good for bacteria growth.
Any idea what the white smear on the glass is? It looks like dried milk...a white film...
can I clean it today or should I wait?

Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what you're using, should be fine, as far as white stuff on glass? I don't know, pics would help. I would clean anything until your tank evens out.

thanks brookster.
Ammonia this morning again at 0.5 so I will do 50% wc again and scrub the glass.

Back
Top Bottom