I did the dumbest thing today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyetexa2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my name is john and today i got my first 10 gallon aquarium i have had those little 1 gallon bowls and sponge bob aquarium and they are all really boring its not fun to have those you need atleast a 10 gallon and im gonna get a 50 gallon soon oh wait i have to tell you what im here for lol.

Well today i went to my cousins and got my first 10 gallon it was very dirty and full og guppies and babies the water wasnt even half way full okay i took them out of that put them in a bag along with the rest of the equipment i took filter media these droplets which i will get to in a moment and a bunch of other stuff when i brought everything home i scrubbed the aquarium clean but not crystal clean of you know what i mean. i the gravel omg it was the worst made the whole house stink when i rinsed them the whole sink was full of brown water that was nasty anyways i took a bowl type of think that has a wire mesh at the bottom filled it with gravel and rinsed it but i left all the other residue such as these little things that looked like roots no they werent alive they just were they root type of things but the filter took care of it. And the filter sucks by the it is slowwww it it took hours of working to get the water to even flow at an ok pace its like 8 years old what can i say along with everything else well thats not the point here when i was done with everything and the water was filled up i added the droplets which i thought were dechlorinating droplets but it turned out they were just for helping to balance the water and a lil l8r i put in the guppies thinking the water was good but then a few mins l8r i saw the fish slowly starting to die im like what the hell is going on i mean i didnt use any type of soap on the aquarium what could be wrong so i threw away all the dead fish and decided well the guppies were small fish but i have a goldfish in a very small container that i had to keep it in for a short time i thought maybe ill try putting it in because it is large and it is very hardy i put it in and nothing happened but so an hour l8r i decided to but my betta fish in with it too and nothing happened to it either i guess its because bettas have lings and it breathed from the surface instead of taking in water thru its gills any ways theyre all doing fine but im thinking about getting the goldfish to put in more fish i mean if i leave the two together they will be allright but i want more colorful fish and i cant do that if i take the goldfish out im gonna give it to my friend for like the hundreth time hes got a 29 gallon aquarium full of goldfish so he takes it i have taken it and given it back so many times i lost count lol. so what im trying to say is what do you guys think is better take the goldfish out and get new tropical fish or just leave it like that and if i do take it out what kind of fish should i get i want mainly fish i can keep with the betta.? whoah i didnt even notice writing this much lol . ok you guys decide ill just wait here thanks byr :D

You need to buy some type of water conditioner.....I'm guessing that the lack of water conditioner is what killed some of the fish straight off.

A 10 gallon is really too small for a goldfish long term. A 29 gallon is small as well, in my opinion, for a goldfish. I would get rid of the goldfish.

As for what fish to buy.....do you have a heater?

Your betta is tropical and could use a heater. Although you live in California right? So your room temp might be warm enough to go without in the summer.

I would add a few more tropical fish. Maybe 3-4 corydoras.

I would avoid livebearers so you don't end up with another population explosion problem.

From my understanding all the guppies are now dead, correct?

Do you have water dechlorinator? How often do you do a PWC?

Goldfish get really big upto 23" long and a 10 gal is way too small. IMO goldfish should be kept in ponds or very large aquariums over 400 gal.

I'm guessing your tank isn't even cycled, so if I were you, I would get rid of the goldfish and put the betta back where it came from. Once you do this read this http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Even though this is in the saltwater section, it can be used for freshwater too. I would add one shrimp if I were you or you could use pure ammonia, but this method seems more complicated.

If you don't have a test kit, you'll need one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4454&ref=3532&subref=BE&N=2004+113074

Read about this unless you already know about it http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Be patient, it may take more than a month before you can add fish (time varies, which is why you need a test kit).

HTH

Back
Top Bottom