I dont know what to do. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am new to aquariums. I recieved a 55g freshwater tank with 15 or so fish, chiclids I think. I wanted a tank for so long but wanted to research it first. Well a coworker just showed up with it. The tank is set up with old gravel dirty and 1/4 of the old water in it. The however are still in a 5g bucket with an airator in it. I know this is not what should happen but it is what it is. What do I do for these poor kids (fish)? I want to make this work.:hide:

Yikes - poor fish! I am a total newbie, but is the filter media still wet by chance? If so I would think it would be important to keep the media wet (with tank water) to have a better shot of beneficial bacteria staying alive so the tank doesn't massively cycle once the fish are in....

To be honest if it were me I would try to rehome the fish ASAP (like now) so you can prep the tank and get the fish you want.....

I just feel so bad for the fish :(

EDIT - I see from your other thread that you already set up the tank/filter etc...so ignore that part about keeping it wet....

rehoming is probally not going to happen. I am going out to get a better test kit.I have strips which read.
Nitrate-40
Nitrite-1.0
hardness-75-100
chlorine-0
Alk- 120
pH-7.2

My biggest question is do I put the fish in the tank? or can I add something that may help first?

rehoming is probally not going to happen. I am going out to get a better test kit.I have strips which read.
Nitrate-40
Nitrite-1.0
hardness-75-100
chlorine-0
Alk- 120
pH-7.2

My biggest question is do I put the fish in the tank? or can I add something that may help first?

Ammonia???

I would get the API master test kit and ammonia testing is crucial! I would get the fish in the tank as they will be absorbing all the toxins and you dont want them getting chilled. You need to match the water temp to avoid shock, maybe acclimatise them in a bag floating in your tank water. Then i would do daily water changes of about 30-40 percent, to keep the water parameters in better check. Make sure you condition any water before you add to the tank. Good luck, hope the fishes are ok.

Im going to get the correct test kit for them today, these strips arent accurate

Darklight said:
I would get the API master test kit and ammonia testing is crucial! I would get the fish in the tank as they will be absorbing all the toxins and you dont want them getting chilled. You need to match the water temp to avoid shock, maybe acclimatise them in a bag floating in your tank water. Then i would do daily water changes of about 30-40 percent, to keep the water parameters in better check. Make sure you condition any water before you add to the tank. Good luck, hope the fishes are ok.

Dark light has a great plan - good luck with your new fish!

I will get this kit hopefully in petco today. I did put them in he tank, they seem happy I will continue to watch them and pray like crazy. My intentions are only the best. I feel real bad because if they die im responsible for rushing into this.

really? how much ammonia? the fish are in the tank now.

not sure which conditioner you have, but people here swear by seachem prime if you are going to the store.

Whatever happens - this is not your fault - your coworker should not have sprung this on you! Ask lots of questions, once stuff settles post some pics of the fish and I am sure people will help identify them for you!

really? how much ammonia? the fish are in the tank now.

you are targeting 0ppm ammonia. Once you get the test kit, you will have to be on top of the water changes to keep it/get it there....

Thank You so much for helping me. Im going to get this prime and test kit. What about lighting, I have a flouresent now. Does it stay on in the day, night? Should I go to an LED? Do I need specific light for night or day. Which is better? or both.

Aim to light your tank around 10 hours per day. This more important if you are stocking live plants. You may encourage algae groth if you exceed this time. You can get a moonlight blue tube if your tank hood will hold one. I put my moonlight on For a few hours after the daylight light is switched off. Get to see the fish at night then plus you can see any nocturnal fish going about too. :)

ok, off to the store I go! I will post more. Thank You all for helping me with my new kids!

Im back from the store. I got the master test kit, Results:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 5
Nitrate-20-40 color varies.

I did buy prime, but initally used AmQuel plus and Nova Aqua plus.
Water temp 78 F

They just had a pinch of food and ate like piggies.
How do I post pics?

Last edited:
You need to change some of the water to get those nitrites down and keep checking it cause you may have too keep doing it as it mini cycles

If your using the app after you hit reply it should say attachments
If your using the regular site you have to click on post reply not quick post and then go all the way to the bottom and it says attach files

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
If your using the app after you hit reply it should say attachments
If your using the regular site you have to click on post reply not quick post and then go all the way to the bottom and it says attach files

On my App once you hit REPLY there is a + sign next to send. The + will take you to Attachment menu.

Pics of the kids

:confused:Here are pics of the tank and some of the kids. I only know the angel fish.IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom