I. Flubbed. Up. Bad. (Sand problems [emoji848])

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_crazy_lady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Disclaimer: I am a greenhorn!!!!!!!

So anyway I am 15 and I just recently got a ten gallon tank to go beside my 40 gallon as a breeding tank for my platies.
So I decided to put sand in my tank last minute when I was in the pet store picking up supplies. Which is kind of beside the point. But anyway I went home and for some stupid reason I airheadedly forgot to wash the sand. I put it in poured Ina couple inches of water and... planted all 1000 of my grass seeds in the tank!
So the water is really cloudy and I'm wondering what I should do.
Those plant seeds took a month to come but should I just scrap it and start all over again? Or is there any hope that it will be ok in a few days? ...if it will though won't I have problems when I stir the sand up to release gas pockets?

As I said I'm new to sand and I haven't a clue what inspired me to forget to wash it.
Any ideas/advice?
Thanks!

Ok so I decided to scrap it. 2 dollars worth of seeds weren't much compared to the consequences of not washing the sand so I went ahead and ordered more seeds Then washed the sand out... and wouldn't you know, the seeds all stayed with the sand! So I guess it ended up being a win win situation.
Just thought I'd update in case somebody else comes along with the same or similar problem in later years.

for future reference, the cloudyness would have eventually been filtered out and cleaned by your filter and your water changes. When i started up my first tank, I didn't wash my sand either (cus I lived in an apt. with no hose and didn't want to risk dumping sand down my tub drain...) and it was cloudy for about a week. I didn't care too much because I was cycling my tank so it was whatever, but I had to give my filter a good cleaning after it all settled LOL

Back
Top Bottom