Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I. Flubbed. Up. Bad. (Sand problems )

Disclaimer: I am a greenhorn!!!!!!!

So anyway I am 15 and I just recently got a ten gallon tank to go beside my 40 gallon as a breeding tank for my platies.
So I decided to put sand in my tank last minute when I was in the pet store picking up supplies. Which is kind of beside the point. But anyway I went home and for some stupid reason I airheadedly forgot to wash the sand. I put it in poured Ina couple inches of water and... planted all 1000 of my grass seeds in the tank!
So the water is really cloudy and I'm wondering what I should do.
Those plant seeds took a month to come but should I just scrap it and start all over again? Or is there any hope that it will be ok in a few days? ...if it will though won't I have problems when I stir the sand up to release gas pockets?

As I said I'm new to sand and I haven't a clue what inspired me to forget to wash it.
Any ideas/advice?
Thanks!

Old 08-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok so I decided to scrap it. 2 dollars worth of seeds weren't much compared to the consequences of not washing the sand so I went ahead and ordered more seeds Then washed the sand out... and wouldn't you know, the seeds all stayed with the sand! So I guess it ended up being a win win situation.
Just thought I'd update in case somebody else comes along with the same or similar problem in later years.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

for future reference, the cloudyness would have eventually been filtered out and cleaned by your filter and your water changes. When i started up my first tank, I didn't wash my sand either (cus I lived in an apt. with no hose and didn't want to risk dumping sand down my tub drain...) and it was cloudy for about a week. I didn't care too much because I was cycling my tank so it was whatever, but I had to give my filter a good cleaning after it all settled LOL

Tags
problem, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com