I got a GOLDIE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just impulse bought the cutest red cap oranda. Would it be totally cruel and impossible to happily keep the little guy in a double filtered 15 gallon for a while?

I've got an empty 20 laying around somewhere but its dirty and it doesn't have a lid or a stand and I would just rather not use it if possible.

Most goldfish require 20 gallons. Is he the only fish in the tank? They can live in small ranks but there body never gets to grow to it potential so it body is stunted. The insides continue to go grow and sometimes have a hump or curves back. If its meant to be a large fish it will never reach its full beauty. I would say for a short period of time it would be fine but not long term and definitely not with lots of tank mates.

He has no tank mates. I know 20 is the required size for fancies. Does 5 gallons really make the difference between a stunted and a healthy goldfish though?

It really depends on the type of Goldie. If u run a tight ship and keep everything clean and fresh I would say if it's the only option it would most likely be fine. Keep the tank topped off and dont overfeed. I have had many impulse buys and that's why I have three tanks and just got a 90 gallon so unless u have a fully cycled tank I wouldn't suggest going to the fish store again.

Normally they can live in that condition fine for a while, given that you make sure you do regular water changes, siphoning, added bubblers, etc. They need a lot of oxygen in their environments and small tanks, dirty water, etc, does not help them in that department.

The stunted growth thing only happens when the fish has to suffer in a high ammonia and nitrate environment. They've done studies of using 3 inch diameter tubing where they would have (bass?) grow from babies in there. They would continuously pump in clean water in, dirty out, and those poor fish grew to the size of those tubes. So it's not necessarily a "Size" issue, so much as that goldfish are really dirty and need the gallon amount to make it so they don't dirty it up in less than a week (hours for those who put them in bowls). That, and they do enjoy the swimming space.

I think a 15 gallon would be good for now while he's small, but don't add any more in there to be safe and you'll be fine.

At least you're not asking us to put 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon, like one of my customers today :( Poor things.

Okay haha yeah I have 4 now, a 75, 15, 10, and a 3 in the bathroom lol. I planned almost all but this guy lol I just could resist him.
Some day I want to restock my 75 with fancies. I would love a pearlscale.
But yeah, it's not his forever home anyway, I doubt he'll be in there for a year tops. I'll probably get a 36 or 40 gallon sometime in the next year.

monsteridea said:
Normally they can live in that condition fine for a while, given that you make sure you do regular water changes, siphoning, added bubblers, etc.

The stunted growth thing only happens when the fish has to suffer in a high ammonia and nitrate environment. They've done studies of using 3 inch diameter tubing where they would have (bass?) grow from babies in there. They would continuously pump in clean water in, dirty out, and those poor fish grew to the size of those tubes. So it's not necessarily a "Size" issue, so much as that goldfish are really dirty and need the gallon amount to make it so they don't dirty it up in less than a week (hours for those who put them in bowls). That, and they do enjoy the swimming space.

I think a 15 gallon would be good for now while he's small, but don't add any more in there to be safe and you'll be fine.

At least you're not asking us to put 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon, like one of my customers today :( Poor things.

Oh yeah I'm not that...ignorant lol.
I don't like to be harsh but that's really what it is, common sense should tell you that 4 goldfish can't live in 10 gallons of water.

But okay that's good news! How often and what % of water do you suggest I change? 50% once or twice weekly?

I don't like to be harsh but that's really what it is, common sense should tell you that 4 goldfish can't live in 10 gallons of water.

But okay that's good news! How often and what % of water do you suggest I change? 50% once or twice weekly?

Water changing in a general sense runs anywhere from 15-30% for every couple-few weeks. For goldfish, 30-50+ seems reasonable. Though, I've read 50-75%. More frequent will help to increase the oxygen levels in your tank, as well as remove any stressful ammonia. But I'm not an "Expert" at it, maybe someone who has had more experience with goldies could help?

I have a common goldfish in my 40 gallon (a little rescue, will post about him soon), and constantly moderate the ammonia and nitrates with regular water changes of 30%. So far, he's doing well. Eats all my live plants, but I knew that would happen. And at least he's been saved from being put in something tiny.

datkush said:

How does the water parameters in your tap/other tanks look? As long as you have stable tap water that doesn't have high amounts of ammonia/nitrite and your ph doesn't change change drastically with water changes, I would stick to big water changes atleast 2x/wk. 50% minimum, more is better unless your tap is an issue. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

jlk said:
How does the water parameters in your tap/other tanks look? As long as you have stable tap water that doesn't have high amounts of ammonia/nitrite and your ph doesn't change change drastically with water changes, I would stick to big water changes atleast 2x/wk. 50% minimum, more is better unless your tap is an issue. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Yeah the tap is fine and the other tanks are great, I haven't had problems with any of them except for a nitrate spike in my 75 a while ago but that was resolved.
But okay that's exactly what I was thinking on water changes, sounds good :)

Back
Top Bottom