Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2004, 11:49 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
true its not the case but ive read on a couple of sites that it will get less uhh it wont work as well. because theres gasses in ammonia (i think) and then the gas goes into the empty part of the bottle. when you open it the gas comes out. and every time you open it you keep letting more and more gas out. and the ammonia becomes weaker and weaker

Old 06-08-2004, 11:58 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

If you can smell it, it will do the job in the tank. It does not take much to equate a full load of fish waste.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
What are your actual levels of ammonia (ppm)?

I may have missed it, but how much ammonia did you add to the tank. I read an article somewhere that said adding too much ammonia will stall the process. If your ammonia levels in your water are sky high, I would do a water change, probably around 50%, to bring it down. Give it a few days and see what happens.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Also, check the nitrites and nitrates. I don't think it's likely after only 2 weeks, but I suppose it's possible that you're done cycling...

-j
Old 06-09-2004, 12:04 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
I don't think the ammonia will be any less effective over time, but that is not the case here. I know it is hard but wait it out. Something has to give here in the near future - you can't avoid it but I have had slow cycles in the past, too, and it is no fun.

One other thought - are you heating the tank? I had a cycle recently run much quicker when I raised the temp of the tank to 86 just for the cycle.
Yeah, it's heated... right now all my tank (even those w/ fish in it) are about 86 and the heaters are off... it's just really hot here and I have no way to get it down.

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
bunebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

My ammonia is about 3-4 ppm, Nitrite is about 0 ppm, and same w/ nitrate. I didn't see a peak in either while I've been checking. Nothing has moved up or down. So I dn't think it's finished cycling... but I'm not sure. I've checked the amonia every day, but not the nitrite or nitrate.

It's a 50 gal tank... and I put in about 2.5 tablespoons (I think, can't completely remember)

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Sometimes it takes a while for the bacteria to form. I think you're just going to have to wait a while and see. I had a ten gal tank that took about 2 months to cycle. I had another one that only took about 4 weeks. I don't know what the deciding difference is in the timeframe. It's probably based on more than just a few factors. All I can say right now is patience. Fishless cycling isn't necessarily any faster than a fishy one; just better for your fish.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright, so I just check the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite w/ new test kits I got in today. Today it says, instead of 3 ppm ammonia, there is actually 8, and the other two are 0 ppm each. Do I need to do a huge water change to get the ammonia down to 3?

Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of dechlor are you using? I can't remember if we discussed this, but some of them react with the ammonia test, giving you a false high reading.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:34 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not using one. I have well water... so don't need to. There's no chlorine it my water.

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« cycling | new 20gal »