I have a cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had my tank running for 2 weeks with live plants before I added any fish. I know the tank was not cycled before I added the fish, I didn't have access to an ammonia source and I didn't like the idea of rotting shrimp in my tank. Anyway, I have been monitoring the tank daily since adding my fish on Sunday and so far, everything is 0 (Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia). I have a 29ga with 2 Hornwort, 2 JavaFern and 1 Moneywort. When should I expect to see an increase in the Ammonia and Nitrites? I have 4 Buones Aires sp? Tetras.

Thanks

You may never, if your plants are using all the nitorgen wastes your fish are producing. Go slow, you may never cycle, if you add fish slowly over an extended period.

Keep testing untill then. If you dont get ammonia then I think that would be fine. If you do get ammonia change the water and keep it under 1. How large is the tank?

u2_Crazy said:
I have a 29ga
If you use gal for gallon it is easier to find :wink:
With that many plants and only a few fish, you won't see significant spikes, especially with fast-growers like hornwort. What is your lighting? High light makes the plants suck up more nutrients. What test kit are you using?

You can establish a biologic filter without ever seeing ammonia and nitrite detectable on your test kit. I have done it twice, even without plants. The secret is to stock very lightly, and then add no more fish until you see nitrates rise, even if it takes two months. And you still have to test every day or every other day to make sure you don't have to do any PWC. 4 tetras in a 29 gal tank might work, so just don't add any more fish until you see an increase in nitrates. If after 2 months you still don't see ANY nitrates, and you want to assume that the plants are using it, then go ahead and start adding fish slowly. TWO MONTHS! you say? Yeah, patience is key to cycling with fish without the toxin spikes. AT least you have fish to look at, some fishless cycles take nearly as long.

Here's a link to a long, wordy webpage on the topic:
http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0017.htm

Back
Top Bottom