I have fish now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got them on Wednesday, and I am very happy with them! I have 4 female bettas, 4 panda cories, 6 X-ray tetras, and 3 kuhli loaches in my 30 gal tank now. I still plan on getting 3 upside down catfish and a couple of snails within the next few months, and then I will be fully stocked. Everybody seems to be happy and doing well, although I did a problem with 2 of the bettas fighting at first. Now if only I had another bigger tank, so I could get more fish! :invasion:

Congrats! Interesting choice on the bettas. I've always heard they are difficult to keep in the same tank but I assume that only refers to when a male is present? I'm wondering if you couldn't get a single male now since he would (hopefully) divide his time among the females?

It's only the males that have to be separated. The females aren't near as aggressive, although there are the occational exception. Unless the tank is very large with lots of hiding places, adding a male would be a bad idea. Males a females should generally only be mixed when trying to breed.

I'll try to get some pics one of these nights, after cleaning off all the kids' fingerprints. One of my bettas is a big bully. She leaves the biggest betta alone, but is constanty chasing and nipping at the other two, and occasionally goes after a tetra, too. I'm keeping a close eye on her, and will soon be making some caves for the fish to hide in, so hopefully that will help. Other than that, we are really enjoying the fish! It is so calming to just sit and watch them swim around.

Back
Top Bottom