i have to ask..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone.

can anyone please clear up the different algae types and what they mean? i've tried finding details online but a lot of places offer mixed advice and i usually find you guys are a better source for information.

we are setting up a new tank (has just finished cycling so will be moving fish in soon) however in my current tank there is blue/green algae that sorta grows all over the fake ferns we have. and also a brown algae that grows on the ornaments. does anyone know what these are? why they have formed? also a fish of ours did have a nibble at some (it was a neon tetra) is that good for them? we have also been medicating the tank recently (its finished now but traces may still remain) and i thought it could be remnents of medication as the first time we medicated this stuff grew everywhere in the tank. but it keeps coming backk which leads me to believe its algae. and if it is an algae can algae eaters (cherry chrimp or apple snails) eat it without a detrimental effect? or should i clean it myself?

i will be putting a java fern (hopefully) in the new tank and i believe it does compete for the nutrients that the algae would normally have so potentially may stop algae growth. does that sound about right?

The brown is more than likely a diatom bloom, which will clear up in a few months--nothing to worry about, easy to wipe off if you want.

The blue green sounds like cyanobacteria. Usually caused by too much light, too much phosphate, or poor water quality.

oh ok so its not an algae... is it bad if the fish eat it? or say for example if a shrimp/snale ate it?

I think only hermit crabs feed on it with no ill effects. Only when eaten in moderation, not as a staple diet. Am I correct? Forget where I read that

actually both the diatoms and the cyanobacteria are loosely placed into the "algae" group, although you are correct in that the cyanobacteria technically is not a algae, as that is a division in the eukaryotic taxonomic grouping. Regardless, they both utilize the same growth nutrients as plants and algaes.

well i am thinking of getting one or two java ferns if my LFS sells them... if not any other suggestions for easy to keep plant similar to java? do you think that may help with it?

Back
Top Bottom