I just measured the levels and would like some opinions on the levels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The demand for more beautiful aquarium fish drives heavy inbreeding. Through the inbreeding the fish are less hardy. That's exactly the reason why rams are less healthy. It's also the reason why the fanciest strains of fish aren't as resilient as their more common counterparts. This is true even with guppies and bettas. If you wanted to talk to someone specifically about this then you should shoot a pm to Andy sager. He's been in the industry forever and has a lot of insight on the topic.

Yes I could be wrong but I don't think a lot of fish we keep in our aquariums are as beautiful and colourful in the wild.

I know that some species are even injected with a dye to enhance their colours. This damages the slime coat and leaves them susceptible to all sorts.

I think in the wild, you would want to be as bland as possible as not to stand out to predators?

This has soooo gotten off topic. I feel the need to apologize to the OP for helping get things off track :)

Yes I could be wrong but I don't think a lot of fish we keep in our aquariums are as beautiful and colourful in the wild. I know that some species are even injected with a dye to enhance their colours. This damages the slime coat and leaves them susceptible to all sorts. I think in the wild, you would want to be as bland as possible as not to stand out to predators?
Or.... You would want to stand out for all the lovely lady fishies:) you guys are silly, relax, op probably deleted this app after that scientific Armageddon!

It had already gone way off by the time I jumped in. The op probably deleted the app way before then. Lol sorry OP

I would also like to add on a SERIOUS note that many animals such as the milk snake pretend to have bright colors, as many poisonous or venomous animals such as the coral snake (what the milk snake copies) and poison dart frogs have bright colors. Furthermore, if an animal is bright green, we may think it "bright" and therefore not ecologically "efficient", but it may just blend in to the green plants in its natural habitat.

P.S. I think that this thread has gone so far off course that it should be deleted if the OP is not responding. If he/she is, I would say that 40 ppm nitrate IS fine for many fish, but for some it is not. But for most hardy fish, under 30 is best. Also, trace ammonia like you have is fine.

Back
Top Bottom