I may start one..........Its a 30 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissamustang

Aquarium Advice Addict
Give me the ins and outs.........

It has been some time that I have had a freshwater set up. I used to have a 29 gallon. With an underground filter and a bio wheel. I do not know the type but I also had bubble rocks, and rock gravel.

I would like really good suggestions on filters and whatever else you experts would say would be the best.
I used to have silver dollars and gouramis but, what do you have ans why do you like them?

I want something colorful but will be active.

Let me here anything or show me pictures..............

Thank you all in advance!

Let me say welcome back!

If you have sigs enabled, you can peruse all of my tank pics at your leisure. You will see a 30 gal tank as well as my 75g jungle.

The 30 gal has an aquaclear HOB, an airstone and fake plants. A 100w heater and an external digital thermometer is all the equipment. A couple of tetras, an angel, a couple of swordtails, an albino bristlenose pleco and a huge apple snail.

The 75 gal has a fluval 404 canister filter, another airstone, two 150w heaters and an external digital thermometer. The 75 gal is also fully planted. German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams, more bristlenose plecos (both albino and brown), serpae tetras, lamp eye tetras, corydoras julii, an 8" sailfin pleco, tons of MTS and tons of ramshorns snails.

The days of the UGF have long passed, you will not need it.

If you have sigs enabled
What does this mean?...I think I've been missing out on a feature.

And for active and colorful.... male guppies are the ticket.Lots of variations and spectacular colors as well as "styles" or types.

Out of all the fish in my tank my gups get the most comments from the visitors at our house and I only have three in there...but they are sweet looking.

Fatz

*We interrupt this thread for a special help bulletin*

SCFatz, in your profile, you can choose whether you want to see members sigs. If you have it disabled, you can change it.

*We continue now with our regularily scheduled programming*

LOL...point taken...I know where that forum is and .......oh nevermind,just seemed like a good time to ask since I was already typing lol.My apologies...although I have been known to hijack a thread or twelve,this was not a real attempt.

For a 30g, an AquaClear 50 (or a 70 for messy fish) is a very good filter.
3 spot gouramis come in a large variety of colors now (blue, gold, lavender, platinum, etc.) and usually quite active (mine are anyway).
Eartheater cichlids (fish of the Geophagus and Satanoperca genus) are quite interesting, they come in many different sizes, colors and temperament. Most of them have a mild temperament. They sift sand into their mouth (food and sand go in) and through their gills (only sand comes out). Pretty cool IMO.

Do you want to plant your tank? If not, a pair of firemouths or convicts would be cool, but the cons will breed like crazy and the babies can be hard to get rid of. Sure would be active though LOL! BTW, if you go that route you couldn't keep anything else in there. I'm also very partial to Bolivian rams, like JC suggested. They're very pretty and have a lot of personality, and they love a planted tank (real or fake) with driftwood. You may be able to get away with a pair of angels in a 30 gallon too, but couldn't keep much else with them or you'd be overstocked.

Female cons are more colorful than the males, here's mine:
img_624996_0_358e0084f4b05b50027e48b5084a5d59.jpg

My firemouth:
img_624996_1_2e1253f83394a73bc6aaa82256d2de35.jpg

One of my Bolivians:
img_624996_2_b2ae94f05dfd8c83fb61299d5027308e.jpg

On my 29 I have a Penguin 170 with biowheel and a Whisper 20i internal filter. You can see what I have in my siggie. My favorite fish is my opaline gourami. She's about 4.5-5" and she is so big and beautiful and graceful. My platies, harlies, and cherry barbs add so mush spunk and color! I just love all my leetle fishies. I'm having so much fun with tank....I can't wait to finish setting up my 55!!

Another idea is GBR's. They will get your visitors attention real fast. :)

75g130.jpg

75g138.jpg

An HOB filter is a Hang-Over-Back filter, like the Penguins, Emperors, Aquaclears, etc. I prefer the Emperor 280 myself. I have one on my 26G, and does a great job.

I really like and appreciate the suggestions! I am really thinking of the 30 gallon. We have two tanks empty..a 180 gallon with everything, and a 30 gallon. I am so grateful to all of your pictures to! Wow I feel welcomed here, even though I am a salty I really like freshwater too.
You can never get enough information!
Thanks again all!!!

Back
Top Bottom