I need Ideas.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want something low maintenance and fun to watch, I would recommend some zebra danios. You can easliy accomadate a small school of about 7-10 and they are a lot of fun to watch. I am also partial to rainbow fish because they are so beautiful and stay relatively small, however, they tend to be a little pricey. As far as plants, live is the way to go. Stay away from plants with small leaves because they tend to come apart and clog your filter....I've had great luck with the broad leave variety. If you get a pleco, be sure to add some driftwood...they love it!

Catfish tend to get big. Zebra pleco's are attractive and small (3" max in captivity) but they command a high price and are hard to find.

I'd stick with cories. They're good cleaners, have nice personalities, and do best in groups. Sterbai cory and panda cory are both attractive fish and much easier to find.

cory cat's are small right? I bought 2 at the beginning, i think they are panda, and they are only about 1". Anyway, they are bottom feeders but they don't eat algae on the sides of the tank like the pleco's do they? I have a common pleco in my 55 gallon, which i know he will outgrow eventually, but he does an excellent job of keeping it clean.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=864

I don't know about buying fish from that site, i haven't, but i found it has a lot of information about what kind of habitat each fish likes. I spent a lot of time at that website, you can look at almost anykind of freshwater fish and decide what you like and what you want to keep. They tell you how big they get, aggressiveness, and they have pretty pictures! :frog:

barefootKATE, is this your first aquarium? If so welcome to the hobby. It can be very addictive. There are sooo many different kinds of fish out there. A common type of fish out there is the African Cichlid species. They can be found at most any main stream pet store (petsmart, petco, etc.). And these fish fish have some pretty serious personality. They will watch you as you watch them. They will follow you as you walk past th tank. Just fun fish in general. It is kind of strange thinking that fish are fun, but head down to a LFS and look at some Yellow Labs. If you touch the tank and move your finger around, they will follow your finger.

These fish do not like plants. Or rather they like the plants too much and wii eat on them to the point of having no more plants at all. And if they for some reason do not feel like eating them, the will dig them up and you will come home to a plant or 2 floating on the surface. So stick with the rocks and driftwood if you go this way.

They can be a little more aggressive. But I have found that if you keep them in pairs (1 male, 1 female) they tend to be much more manageable.

If you do decide on this species of fish, just make sure to look for the maximum size of the fish before purchasing them. I know that Petsmart has the size posted on the tag. But a LFS will be able to tell you the size too.

DeFeKt, that has got to be the best method I have ever seen to tell if a tank is overstocked!

i like clown loaches--they are nice and active -- when they're small -- but they get big. mine are about 1" and they're very cute! as for plecos -- there are a million to choose from -- and many stay small -- in the 3 to 4" range. check out http://planetcatfish.com. but make sure you look at how big the pleco gets before you fall in love :) i wish i would take my own advice -- sigh. aquabid.com always has a great selection of plecos, corys, and loaches up for bid, and at reasonable prices.

i wish the LFS would sell a variety of pleco's... all ive seen are the common ones that get huge... and online they are soooo expensive.

Guppies are cool, there are some really cool looking catfish out there, but they do tend to get big, i also like dwarf gourami's they kinda hide alot but are wicked colorful.....

I just got a school of serpae tetra, and I would definitely recommed them. They are active, pretty, and they school fairly well. They're reasonably lazy swimmers, but at feeding time they go nuts. Beautiful to watch. Then for bottom feeders...There are some beatiful pleco's and loaches that don't grow too big, check out www.loaches.com for some info. I have a clown loach (getting him a partner soon) and he's by far my favourite fish.

Back
Top Bottom