i need some help badly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammcneil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my Fantail is staying at the bottom of the fish tank what do i do and he isint sick

One gallon? That's your problem. The fish needs a 30 gallon tank.

Yes you definitely need a bigger tank. Goldfish are very messy and need room to swim.

1 gallon=no filter=no beneficial bacteria to eat up ammonia=dead fish

Sorry to be blunt but fancies need 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for each additional very messy fish and should have a filter rated for double the size of your tank

Are you sure the tank is cycled? Letting the tank run for a week and then getting fish won't cycle it. Do you have a test kit to test the water? I'd do a very large water change right away (use good dechlorinator, Prime is best if you can get it). Then get a good test kit (API Master is best) and test the water every day; any time ammonia or/and nitrite are over .25 do a water change to get them down as close to 0 as you can. Same with nitrates over 20. Unfortuntely with a goldfish (which are extremely messy) in a 1 gallon you're going to be doing a lot of water changes. If you can return it until you can get a bigger tank, I would do so. Until then, keep up with the water changes. Even then I think it's a losing battle with a goldfish in a tank that small.

Back
Top Bottom