I purchased some fish from the pets store and they all got ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samhodsondesign

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys

I'm new here and also a new fish keeper I brought some fish from the pets tore and they all got ick, I didn't know what it was at first but it got to the point of them depressed and acting strange. I did some research and I found out it was ick so I got some treatment. Sadly I lost three fish during it and now there is only one left. I treated the main tank and cleaned it out and got rid of all the horrible little parasites and now I'm at the cycling stage. My one fish is in a hospital tank which I set up which had the filter in it but I took it out to cycle the new tank. Right now I don't have the money to buy a new filter and km worried that he won't survive without one for a few days whilst this tank cycles :( this is also brings me onto another problem, I currently have no pH / ammonia test kits and I can't buy one currently. I'm really worried write now because I don't know how to cycle my tank. Can someone give me some advice to do this to the best I can without a test kit, it's the only way right now:(

Thanks so much!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
usually i cycle a tank with a single fish. he should be fine by himself, i never lost one when it was solo. as for testing the water, most pet stores will test your water for free when you bring them a sample. if it were me, i would move him back in the main tank and then a week from now take a sample of water to get tested. do not add anymore fish in the meantime, let him stay solo until the water cycles which could take a few weeks.

Thank-you so much for your reply, I Have put him in the new tank and he seems to be doing fine. Bet he's glad to be out the smaller hospital tank. And I will do that. Thanks again!

Hi. It is a hard way to learn when you have losses. Please check out the article link in my signature. There are other links to keep up /increase your knowledge which will be no cost. In other words you can do a massive amount of learning while you are waiting for your tank to cycle.

You can keep doing pwc for your little fish you have left. Mind your feeding, enough but not so that the food is left to rot.

often a pet store will do free water tests for people. where did you get the fish
a big chain store (petco or petsmart) or a local small fish store?

often a pet store will do free water tests for people. where did you get the fish
a big chain store (petco or petsmart) or a local small fish store?
It is a big chain store called pets at home here in the UK

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

many big chain stores have inter linked tanks, they all have the same water and share the same filter. this means if one fish in that system has ich, they are all exposed, you will want to take this into concideration.

many big chain stores have inter linked tanks, they all have the same water and share the same filter. this means if one fish in that system has ich, they are all exposed, you will want to take this into concideration.

Yeah I will definitely take that into consideration, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom