I think i am cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just test water parameters

Ammo-0ppm
nitrite-0ppm
nitrates-40ppm
pH-7.0-ish

Went ahead and dosed my ammo back to make sure it would all drop. Should I dose back up to just 1ppm tomorrow?

Just want to check with ya'll on my initial stock also:

5-neon tetras
4-mickey mouse platy
5-cory
3-glass shrimp

Would that be a good Balance to start of with?

I'd say you're definitely cycled if it all drops within 24 hours. If it does, do a large water change to get rid of nitrates, set your heater to the temp you'll keep your fish at, and go get your fish.
What size of tank is this?

More neons I would start with 10 you are going to lose a few of those they also like a larger school of at least 7. Plan for losses

Not necessarily. With a properly cycled tank, properly maintained water parameters, and healthy fish initially, there is no guarantee that any fish will be lost

I'd say you're definitely cycled if it all drops within 24 hours. If it does, do a large water change to get rid of nitrates, set your heater to the temp you'll keep your fish at, and go get your fish.
What size of tank is this?

Ammo and nitrite drop less than 24. Tank is a 36 gallon bow front.

I would say you are cycled and can do a water change and get fish then. Congrats.
I would increase the numbers of the neons and the cory cats, they are happier in larger groups. The platies are live bearers so get all female if you don't want fry. If you are ok with fry, get one male and 3 females so no single female I'd harassed too much. In terms of an initial stock that looks fine to me.
Do you have any idea what else you are going to want to add in the future?

I would say you are cycled and can do a water change and get fish then. Congrats.
I would increase the numbers of the neons and the cory cats, they are happier in larger groups. The platies are live bearers so get all female if you don't want fry. If you are ok with fry, get one male and 3 females so no single female I'd harassed too much. In terms of an initial stock that looks fine to me.

Thanks for the heads up on the platies. I don't care for them much but my daughter loves 'em...what do ya do......

No prob, I'm planning on having some in my tank so I figured I would pass on what I've learned. However I'm going to have an angelfish so the majority of my fry will likely get eaten.

For fish in cycling I believe it is cycled when ammo and Nitrites stay 0 and nitrates appear

I like your thought on the angel fish eating the fry. What size tank would be suitable? I know it needs to be a mature tank...........

That stock looks good, but you could and should have more fish. I think an angelfish can be fine in that tank, it is probably long enough, but is it at least 16" tall? I think that's what angels need. Make sure to buy the angels young, so they grow up with neons and won't try to eat them. This is what I would do:

4 platys
8 neons
8 cories
1 angel

That puts you at around 80-90% stocked. How much do you plan on feeding and what filter do you have? If you have enough filtration, and feed once a day or once every 2 days, then you should be able to have a small school of top dwellers, like 6 zebra danios.

+1 Good advice! :D

That stock looks good, but you could and should have more fish. I think an angelfish can be fine in that tank, it is probably long enough, but is it at least 16" tall? I think that's what angels need. Make sure to buy the angels young, so they grow up with neons and won't try to eat them. This is what I would do:

4 platys
8 neons
8 cories
1 angel

That puts you at around 80-90% stocked. How much do you plan on feeding and what filter do you have? If you have enough filtration, and feed once a day or once every 2 days, then you should be able to have a small school of top dwellers, like 6 zebra danios.

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on upgrading my filter to a bio-wheel 200 or an aquaclear 50. Something along those specs. Instead of danios would hatchet fish be an acceptable alternative?

Back
Top Bottom