I think I may be cycled!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my new tank is finally cycled but I do have a question. I finally got the ammonia and nitrite readings down to 0. My question though is that the nitrate had been reading around 40 for the past few days and it has suddenly dropped to 0 as well. I thought nitrate couldn't drop without a water change so is this normal?

I'm using the AP liquid test kit. Ths is a fishless cycle and it's been going for almost 3 weeks but it was seeded with gravel from an established tank. I've been feeding the biofilter with pure ammonia with a 5ppm dose at first and then 1ppm a day each day after the ammonia dropped to 0. The ammonia has been at 0 for about a week and nitrites have been staying around 4-5ppm with around 40 nitrates. Now today everything is at 0. I haven't done anything at all which would cause any changes in the water.

I am betting something is wrong with your test. Add 2ppm ammonia an see if it and nitrites goes to zero in 24 hours. If it does you are cycled and need a new a nitrate kit.

Three weeks with seeded material is about right imo.

Try this...run the test on your tap and the tank at the same time....Then compare the two.
That will be more telling then comparing it to the card....low level nitrates are difficult to see with the ap test ime.

Ok I figured it out. I wasn't shaking the nitrate solution #2 bottle like the instructions say to do. Once I did that, the nitrates read at 10. So I guess I am cycled! Yay! :)

Back
Top Bottom