I think I really messed up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zng

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I did not do the proper research and I messed up. Not sure what my next step is...
I had a common goldfish in a bowl for my kid for a few months. I changed the water very often and he seemed fine but after 2-3 months I decided to get a tank.

I chose a 10-gallon starter kit and also purchased another goldfish, a Fantail. When I got home I cleaned everything, followed instructions and got the tank going with treated water and everything I thought was right. Then I moved the common goldfish to the tank, and let the fantail's bag float for a little bit then put him in as well.

So I now know the mistakes were putting them in before cycling and having these fish in a tank this size. This was done Sunday evening and I noticed the water wasn't very clear Tuesday so I did a 50% change. It is now Wednesday and the tank seems pretty clear and the fish seem to be doing great with no obvious signs of issues I read about.

Before I did the water change I went to local fish store with a sample of the water, but the guy said to wait a week before testing the water since I just started it. I told him I have two goldfish in a 10 gallon and the fish are already in the tank (not cycled). He said the fish will probably die and the best chance I have is to stop feeding them.

I'm going to pick up some test strips today so I am sure what the ammonia, nitrate, nitrites are. But what is the best course of action here? Small water changes daily until the tank cycles? Can I purchase a more powerful filtration system, or a 2nd one, that will support two goldfish in a 10 gallon until I can upgrade to a larger tank down the line?

Thanks!

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. You should get a liquid test kit, and it will give more accurate results. Until you can get a larger tank, do frequent water changes, get a more powerful filter, and maybe feed them less to keep the waste as low as possible. I hope this helps.

Get the api liquid master kit, it seems like the standard everyone uses.
Since it's only a 10G, 50% water changes arnt too hard to do daily.. You'll have to keep that up for a few weeks probably.
Try getting a used filter that has the bacteria built up in it already from a friend or lfs..
Last thing to help is adding some bacteria in a bag.. Search around and find a good quality one if possible

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh.. And use prime for your water changes each day.. Prime will neutralize the ammonia, and nitrite in your water for 24hrs, til your next water change. That should keep your fish happy until cycled and you get a bigger tank

Thanks for the advice. Would a product like Tetra SafeStart be recommended as well? I was using API StressCoat but can switch to Prime. No problem doing 50% changes daily but is it better to do 25%?

Also how thoroughly should I be cleaning if it's everyday? I know the weekly clean involves cleaning gravel, taking decorations out and cleaning etc but if I am doing it daily will that increase the time it takes to build up the good bacteria?

I will look into a better filter today at the fish store. My kit came with Top Fin 10: Top Fin Aquarium Power Filter | Filters | PetSmart

Thanks for the advice. Would a product like Tetra SafeStart be recommended as well? I was using API StressCoat but can switch to Prime. No problem doing 50% changes daily but is it better to do 25%?
Tetra safestart or sachem stability would be good but won't alleviate the need for water changes. The thing about Streescoat is it have all in it that does pretty much nothing for fish, I like Fluvial water conditioner or prime. 25% daily is better than 50% every other day.

Also how thoroughly should I be cleaning if it's everyday? I know the weekly clean involves cleaning gravel, taking decorations out and cleaning etc but if I am doing it daily will that increase the time it takes to build up the good bacteria?
How many decorations are there? I would just use the gravel vac until the right amount of water is removed.

I will look into a better filter today at the fish store. My kit came with Top Fin 10: Top Fin Aquarium Power Filter | Filters | PetSmart
I would get like an AC30 or maybe even 50 but don't go to crazy on a 10g, I guess you could get an AC70/Fluval C4 or 206/306/406 and just run them on "low" flow until a larger tank it purchased.

I bought the API Liquid Master Test and the numbers are below. I looked at bigger filters from Fluval and that will be a purchase soon. Would a 30-50 gallon filter be harmful if used in a 10 gallon?

I also purchased an air pump and setup for two stones.

First test
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 1.00ppm
Nitrites: 0.0ppm
Nitrates: 5.0ppm

I then did my daily 50% water change and retested Ammonia which was then at 0.25ppm

Tetra safestart or sachem stability would be good but won't alleviate the need for water changes. The thing about Streescoat is it have all in it that does pretty much nothing for fish, I like Fluvial water conditioner or prime. 25% daily is better than 50% every other day.

How many decorations are there? I would just use the gravel vac until the right amount of water is removed.

I would get like an AC30 or maybe even 50 but don't go to crazy on a 10g, I guess you could get an AC70/Fluval C4 or 206/306/406 and just run them on "low" flow until a larger tank it purchased.

Yes, as previously suggested I will be picking up Prime and will continue doing 50% changes daily. I was looking at the Fluval c3 actually, seems that would be a good upgrade?

Thanks for the advice

Sounds good.. As for the gravel vacuuming.. When doing your daily water changes just vacuum out water...
Then once a week, vacuum half your gravel... The next week vacuum up the other half..

You never want to clean your entire tank and filter at once, as you will get rid of all your BBs.

Yes, as previously suggested I will be picking up Prime and will continue doing 50% changes daily. I was looking at the Fluval c3 actually, seems that would be a good upgrade?

Thanks for the advice
I'd get the C4 and just leave it on the low setting

Back
Top Bottom